Parade ready

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Parade ready

Post by RANGER »

Is your CCKW parade ready. Veterans Day is around the corner, and the weather for most of us will be cool.
to avoid embarassment here are some tips that will help your CCKW get to the parade and back.
Give your truck a PM check

1.Check the Oil Level
2.Check the Radiator
3.Check gearbox levels
4.Check your Master Cylinder
5.Check your Tires
6.Check your Lights
7.Check your Windscreen Wipers
8.Crawl underneath and check suspension and propellar shaft bolts
9.Check the battery
10. Check the Horn, the kids love to hear the horn go BEEP
11.Clean out the Cargo area, make it safe, clean,and comfortable for passengers, carry a short step ladder to help old timers climb in.
12. Clean the crap out of the Cab and find room to carry a jug of water just in case your truck needs it
13. Store a tow chain and a couple of tools in the tool compartment.
14. Add 5-10 Gallons of fresh fuel and a some Dry Gas, your engine will say thank you, and run smoother.
15. Just before you leave for the parade, Windex your windshield, lights and instruments.

My truck gets minimal use during the year and is always in top turnkey shape, but I always give it a thorough going over for about 1 hour a few days before a parade.

I served as a Crew Chief on Army aircraft such as the Beaver, Bird Dog and Hiller Hornet (Hiller Killer), and carried on the habit of performing "preflight" over to my military vehicles. It pays off, no breakdowns, ever.

I will welcome challenge to my claim of having the only MV collection in my area that is maintained strictly to military standard :wink: -thank you Uncle Sam for training me so well.

Consider the tow chain and jug of water as courtesies to be extended to fellow MV owners that may not be as successful as you in getting to parades and back.

Visit your local veterans organization, American Legion, VFW, DAV, Am Vets, 40/8 etc and see if anyone would like to be a passenger.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Did you ever notice that your CCKW is easier to drive in a parade than the WWII Jeep? Especially if there is a lot of stop and go driving to the parade.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Safety is important in a parade, besides having safe brakes, passenger safety is also a consideration, make sure they are seated in the cargo body, as injury could result if your accidently pop your clutch, or if your not so well tuned carburetor has a hesitation problem. There are some owners that have plexiglass installed on your open cab windshield, should you have a sudden stop, there is a chance your passenger will have serious injury from striking the plexiglass, as it may shatter.