AFKW Dump Trucks?

Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

AFKW Dump Trucks?

Post by Forgotten Field »

Was there a dump truck version of the cab-over GMC?
Nothing to see here, just move along...
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: AFKW Dump Trucks?

Post by Gordon_M »

At a guess - no.

My reasoning is that the best hydraulic tipper they could make for the CCKW conventional cab could still only lift the rear 2/3rds of the bed - hence the special adaptor boards that blocked off the front of the bed when used as a tipper / dump truck.

The primary reason for using the cabover configuration always seems to have been to get a longer bed for the chassis / wheelbase, so it would make no real sense.

Options - you could retrofit a CCKW dump body on a cabover chassis, but surely the length would be wrong, or you could have a short wheelbase cabover with a dump bed maybe?

No solid info, but never seen / heard of one.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Gordon,
Thanks. I was just curious about it being a variant- I like the truck. I just purchased this one, which was another modified truck with a hard cab. It runs very well.

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Hard cab with winch and dump - nice combination.

I'm not sure, but I think all the dump trucks were late enough to be open cab - anyone?

Around here there are some open cab air-portable dump trucks, which are very nice, but never did take to the open cab on a CCKW.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Gordon,
According to Sunderlin's article, all the 353H1's were open cab. This one is serial number range 339XXX, so that puts it in later 1st quarter or 2nd quarter 1944. I don't know enough about CCKW's yet, but I would hazard a guess that Sunderlin is probably right- all the tippers were meant to be tactical trucks. So the cab is probably wrong on mine. But I really like the hard cab trucks, so I'll live with it!
Tell me more about the Airborne tippers. I didn't know they were made as they don't show up in any of the written information on CCKW's. The dump trucks are interesting- a good friend of mine has a Federal 2G dump truck which I got to ride in quite a bit when I was a teenager- with a Hercules JXD and two speed rear with Hydrovac brakes, it was a real solid truck.
I had not intended to purchase a CCKW in the near future. But with my new farm, I needed a dump truck or trailer for driveway maintenance and some construction projects. Dump trailers were in the $5000 to $7500 range, and I didn't have a heavy enough 4WD truck to run them off road where I needed them to go. This one presented itself as a good useable truck that was overhauled and in really good shape. It arrives in the next few days and I'm looking forward to putting it to work- first load is a pile of drywall going to lime a field.
Thanks for the info.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I like your truck, it s a CCKW anyway you look at it. I believe Greg Wolanin has an Air Portable Dump, it was imported back to the US after the owner purchased it in Europe and drove it in the "D-Day" 1984 celebration in France.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Joel,
Bob from Milspec introduced me to Greg at Jim Thorpe this year. We had met before but never been introduced. He has quite a collection. There are a whole bunch of people who I met when I started out with this stuff in the late 70's, but none of them remembered a skinny kid with the junk GPW. They are all meeting me again, but we don't really remember each other even though we were at the same shows, including the National at Valley Forge in 1981 or 1982. That was my first National meet.

I am really happy to have a CCKW. I was quite honored when Bob let me drive his truck at an event this summer. That, your advice and his advice led me to buy this truck. I truly appreciate your help on my decision to get this truck.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Re: Your phone call. I got back late, try me around 8:30 PM Fri, answer is affirmative to both requests.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

The airportable is a sought-after truck. All the airportables I've seen have been open cab dumps, but there's no secret to the construction.

Basically the chassis is split in two, and both halves are flanged so they bolt together. I assume there are connectors on the brake lines and electrical lines and some method of fitting a dolly wheel.

As I remember it the dump bed was one piece of the shipment, rear half of the chassis and back axles a second piece, and open cab with front axle the third. I believe you could fit a dolly behind the cab and drive the front half on. Makes sense to use the open cab as it would knock down a lot further.

Nice trucks, seen a few, but never sene one in bits. Of course anyone that owns one wants to keep it in one piece.

Actually my ideal CCKW would be a real hybrid. Closed cab with civilian instruments, roof hatch, early grille / badge, short wheelbase. I suppose adding a airportable split chassis would be pushing it as they were all the longer wheelbase I think.
Gordon, in Scotland

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There were SWB Air Portable, not sure if it were production.
MrRoo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MrRoo »

see the Australian Airbourne GMC thread. There are photos not only of the Aussie version but also the last few posts show the later US model.

Cheers
Cliff :D
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Post by Ken J »

Forgotten Field:

You LUCKY DOG, that is an AWESOME TRUCK.