DUKW Questions & serial numbers

Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

DUKW Questions & serial numbers

Post by Minnhawk »

Yesterday the engine compartment hatch came off the DUKW as it was time to sandblast and repaint the underside -- call it a bonnet or a hood, I would guess. Mine is currently white. While blasting away, I noticed the white paint sheathed off very easily leaving green underneath. The green is fighting much harder, and once again the light green primer is so tough that it just plain requires a slow blasting to get anywhere. Then I uncovered stencils in yellow describing the front and rear brake hose and breather hose storage locations, along with part numbers. That surprised me a little as I was under the assumption that the underside of the hatch was supposed to be white, not green. Yet now I seem to have "proof" that the underside should be green. The yellow paint stenciling really put me off, as I didn't think the Army used yellow in that manner. BTW, my red plastic "gasoline fumes" plate came through intact and readable (!) after I lightly blasted it off.

So, repaint in OD, or repaint in white? Mine obviously came out of the factory green and was later repainted white, most at the direction of a motor pool sergeant in the Canadian Army's Western Command. How were DUKW hoods supposed to be painted in WWII? My front and rear hatches were painted in white.

PART II: As I have mentioned earlier, I found my DUKW's serial number stamped on the outboard side of my rear hatch opening last Spring. When blasting yesterday, I found it again at the very front of the hood in the center, with the number stamped perpendicular to the front edge. Any one else run across this?
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Light green?

Post by Gordon_M »

the only light green I can think of is the British army engine colour - don't suppose it was ever in Europe / UK ?

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Minnhawk »

Gordon: My DUKW appears to have a light green primer coat below the OD green -- similiar to the color one sees in aluminum aircraft interiors. I wonder if GMC got a "deal" on the light green primer toward the end of the war or something......
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
David Welch
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by David Welch »

My Dukw as you know came from the same owner in Canada. My serial # 22096 and is the latest # I have found to date.The top picture may be the primer you are talking about. The lower picture is a poor quality shot of the OD under the white in the cargo area. I have a picture of hull lettering that was applied when my Dukw was moth balled by the Canadians.
sschroedstl
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by sschroedstl »

the lite green that you are seeing is the original zinc chromate primer. the underside of the hood was OD and had the following stenciled on it:

2179973 Front brake hose
2179972 Rear brake hose
2196448 Breather hose

and i think there was one other number for the gasket set, but i cant find a pic right now.

Hope this helps. Scott
DUKW
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Underside of hood.

Post by Minnhawk »

I had been led to believe that zinc chromate was primarily for aluminum -- but that stuff really sticks to steel, let me tell you!. I am still in a quandary about painting the underside white or green. Steve G. out in Oregon says all that he has seen have been white -- originals were OD green from the GMC factory? Your stenciling and what I found agree -- I did not find a stencil for the gasket sete.

So, everyone, green or white? I hold the spray gun in hand as we speak.......
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

Both DUKW"s that I work on for the FD are OD under the hood with the numbers for the hoses stenciled like mentioned above.
One of them still has a hose and the gasket set.
sschroedstl
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by sschroedstl »

The few ones that I have seen were OD w/ the stenciling, never have seen an underside of a hood that was white. I think the items that were painted white were whatever the guy spraying the white paint wanted. there seems to be a general consensus that the engine comparment, the fron and rear compartments were white. but not such a consensus on what else was white. I have seen a few that the entire bottom of the DUKW under the floorboards was white, and others that did not have a drop of white paint under the floorboards. It would make sense that the lowest points in the hull would be white, easier to see leaks and if any of the driveline was leaking. also would be easier to clean. Once again i think i it was whatever the guy with the white paint wanted.
DUKW
David Welch
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by David Welch »

John,
If you look at this link I think you will find three examples of WW2 Dukws With OD lids and one 1950s DUKW with a white lid. OD?
http://www.transchool.eustis.army.mil/Museum/DUKW.htm