Sad Story

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Sad Story

Post by Robbo »

I was talking to some friends a few days ago who are now greatly interested in CCKW trucks and it turns out that they knew of what sounded like a 1938 GMC 4929 6x6 in the possession of a farmer here in Australia - bad news is that he had scrapped it within the last 6 months or so.

What a shame that such an incredibly rare truck was destroyed so recently. Presumably it came here with one of the former US National Guard units that were called up and shipped out to the Pacific. Friend may have some photographs of it somewhere that I hope to get hold of to confirm what it was.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Re: Sad Story

Post by Ken J »

UGH

Try to find out which scrapper it went to and confirm/deny it happened. If it happened, scrappers are notorious to at least horde parts.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

That's good advice from Ken.

How sick would you be if you discover down the line that the scrap man had hauled it way but hadn't cut it up, or still had the major parts?

Slim chance, I know, but ...

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Checked with scrap dealer - sat in his yard for a week then crunch - part of history now like most of the men who drove it. :(
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
tjmilitary
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: m38a1, m37, m43, m211 m1009, m35a2, m818, wc52, m100, m101, m116

Post by tjmilitary »

It pays to get to know your local scrapper. We have become friends with our and he know to call us if anything military comes in. He aquired an M211 GMC recently but did not call.....seems he decided to keep it for himself. too bad for us but it least it has been saved. It runs, drive, and stops so he is enjoying it. I guess we have rubbed off a little onto him. KEEP 'EM ROLLING. Tom
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Post by Ken J »

Yep- a scrapper I know saved an M-35 deuce which had been used by the local fire department. Still sitting there as of nine months ago, think he was considering fixing it for use as a yard fire truck.

Well, Robbo, at least there's no mystery and hopefully the guy you talked to found out that there is a bit more money to be made in saving these kinds of trucks.