Toolbox Seal??

Robbo

Toolbox Seal??

Post by Robbo »

An esoteric GMC accessory I noticed in the Master Parts List is:

GM Number 2051273 Toolbox Lockwire & Seal Assy $0.10 each
(LAD-46-23 AB - by Leibing Automatic Device Corp)
Also used as KingSeeley Governor 25731 Lock Wire & Seal.

It seems not only was the rear toolbox locked with a padlock, it may also have been sealed with the same wire/seal as used on the governors.

I can understand that once the vehicles were inspected by the government inspectors and the contents of the toolbox checked, it would be desirable to seal them up to indicate tampering/theft.

Why would such a seal be listed as a spare part though?? Any comments??
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I believe that that is a generic term used to describe the Lock Wire. It is not mentioned in the overseas unpacking insructions. Mechanics Wire is another such term. Not all who use it are mechanics.

Two GM-2051273 Lead Seal are used as security through the hole on the front mounting stud for the carburetor and to lock the governor adjusting cap to the governor body. There was an earlier seal (GM 2054286) that consisted of two tin cups that snapped together. These are interesting as they have GM embossed on them.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Guess what? The GM-2051273 Lockwire and Seal Assy. is listed along with the Padlock in Group 1800, the Cargo Body section of TM10-1562, July 1942. It is never too late to learn. The strange thing is that it is listed as if it were a replacement part. One would think that this item would be a one time event, and not shown in the parts list.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it