NOS CCKW LWB Fuel tanks

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

NOS CCKW LWB Fuel tanks

Post by RANGER »

There appear to be many more NOS Small Neck fuel tanks available than NOS large neck fuel tanks. Several years ago I obtained the entire stock of NOS fuel tanks for another dealer, they were all the small neck version and dated mid 60s. My guess is that there was a contract let by the US ARMY to supply the stocks of CCKWs still in use by MDAP, and someone used the wrong part number. It would have made more sense to order the large neck version with the neck installed. The others have no necks installed, and screw in necks are nowhere to be found. Any good radiator shop can transfer a large neck from a worn out tank to one of the NOS small neck tanks.

Many of the CCKWs owned by collectors could use a NOS fuel tank and put an end to the constant nightmare of dirt in the fuel, embarassment of having to tow your CCKW home from a parade that was to be a proud moment, and the never ending advice on how to install several inline fuel filters on the CCKW.
CCKW websites are full of owners seeking advice on why their CCKW will not run on one day, and happily posting the next day that it finally runs after dumping the rust and dirt out of their carburetor. The responses go on ad nauseum, "Did you install points," "did you check the timing,"did you adjust your valves","did you whack the carburetor," "did you try an electric pump,"?
Investing in a NOS tank will save you time and money and you can look forward to many happy miles knowing your rusty fuel problems are finally over.
While you are at it, a NOS AC T-2 fuel filter will add to your happiness.

My CCKW has had a NOS fuel tank since 1983, and has had no signs of dirt or carburetor problems in 23 years of use. The plug gets removed from the T-2 Filter approximately every other year, if I can remember to do it, and there has been no sign of water or dirt. I do add dry gas every 3 or 4 months during the active portion of the year.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it