MUSEUM VEHICLES

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

MUSEUM VEHICLES

Post by RANGER »

Amazing, the comments from viewers when photos of vehicles from prestigious museums are posted. Apparently some are not used to viewing real life dioramas of pristine vehicles and remark that they look like model scenery. Even the best of museums make technical errors that fool the experts, there is a flawless G-506 on display with a few errors that some experts will miss. So much for "experts." Did any of you notice that the Chevrolet is displayed with a late 42 CCKW USA Registration? The G506 Cargo would have a USA# beginning with "3." Perhaps the hood is on loan from a CCKW.

Seriously though, when quality pictures of WWII Vehicles in world renowned museums appear to be toys, it is genuine proof that they have achieved perfection. When experts are fooled, it is proof that we all can still learn more.Wouldn't it be nice if all collectors were in close proximity to WWII museums?

How do we learn more? Owning the TMs for your vehicle is a good start, excellent websites such as this put you in instant contact with the world, joining a collectors association such as the MVPA is also good, and if possible, membership in a local chapter endorsed by the MVPA will put you in close contact with members who have good mechanical and technical skils. I belong to the Red Ball Chapter, they are a great group, and have many nice CCKWs.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
42cckw
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Ranger
I noticed the cckw reg # with a few other details and pointed it out on that site :wink: It was said it was a early truck but had a few late features. It is however a very clean nice truck :)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It was said that it was early, but the pundit making the comment backed off. The earliest of the 4X4 Chevrolets had a flat section to the top of the fender. I am curious as to why the CCKW USA number is on the hood. Perhaps all they had available at the time of restoration was a former CCKW hood.

For those interested, note the difference in the bumper, front chassis,and frame extensions used on the 4X4 Chevrolet winch, the CCKW is much heavier. The running boards are different also.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Ranger - The same can be said of almost any area of the car hobby, not just mv's. I've been working on 55-57 Chevys for 40+ years and yet have seen the 'experts' easily snowed at shows, although some times I know it is because of the ranking of the owner of the vehicle.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I know what you are getting at. some are given VIP status, because of their vehicle they show up with, when in reality, they are stumped technically about their own vehicle.
Army trucks do have a way of creating BS artists, luckily though, they are in the minority, and sort of stick together in mutual support.
I have several like new MVs and used to solicit experienced drivers for parades, you will not believe how many claimed to be an experienced M-35, MB, or M-38A1 driver. Some could not figure the shift pattern or find the starter pedal, and at the start of the parade would sit and crank the engine over forever, as they forgot to turn the switch on. They usually get in the Jeep and the first remark is " hmmmmm where is the starter," or "where is low gear?" It is not a pleasant feeling when that happens.
I had two drivers that took out Jeep clutches in a 1 mile parade. No more volunteer drivers. I guess no one ever marched or experienced even KP in the Army, they all drove Jeeps back when.

I learned it is cheaper to get up on the morning of a parade and choose the one vehicle I am in the mood to drive, it is usually the CCKW.

Sorry to get off topic. The comments are really trivial in comparison to the awsome collection of quality Army vehicles displayed in the magnificent George C. Marshall Museum.