CCKW HORN BUTTON RETAINER SCREWS

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW HORN BUTTON RETAINER SCREWS

Post by RANGER »

It depends on which type of Steering Wheel as to the type of Screw is used to attach the Horn Button Retainer.

The early hard rubber version as used on the CCKW and G-506 Chevrolet 4X4 uses GM-151953 Screw, which is illustrated in all of the TM10 GMC Parts Books. it is a #8x5/8" wood screw. I like to substitute a brass #8x5/8" Oval Head wood Screw that you find at those pull out assortments at local hardware stores, it soon takes on a "patina" if not painted and will not rust and contribute to splitting your valuable hard rubber steering wheel.

The Wooden Steering Wheel with the steel spokes and hub is threaded for two #8-32x1/4" flat head machine screws. GM-159572 is the Part No. for the two screws and they were flat head Phillips screws originally. I like to substitute #8 Oval Head Brass 8-32 screws, and I shorten them to 1/4" long with those special pliers used for automotive electrical products that have the screw cut off holes in them. The brass is insurance against rusting into the hub of the steering wheel.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it