CCKW WWII Service

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW WWII Service

Post by RANGER »

We tend to get fixed on CCKWs serving in the ETO, Armored and Airborne Unit markings seem to prevail.
They served in all theaters world wide, in Army ground forces, AAF, Navy Marines, and Coast Guard. They were also issued to WWII Allies such as the British, Canadians, French, Brazillians, and Russians. There probably was not a US military base world wide that did not have a CCKW or two.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There is documentation of CCKWs stripped to bare chassis and the components loaded onto several C-47s to be flown into crude landing strips carvedi nto the Phillipine jungles. The 317 Troop Carrier Group serving in the New Guinea area carried CCKWs in this manner. Their C-47s had the name "Jungle Skippers" on the upper sides of their C-47s. Movie Star Broderick(10-4) Crawford of TV Show "Highway Patrol" fame was 1st Sergeant of the 37th Troop Carrier Squadron. I have the Flight Suit and B-4 Bag of my Uncle Max who was a Radio Operator and "Kicker" on many missions including the drop on Corregidor. He witnessed the 7 Victory Rolls performed in a P-51 flown by Major Shomo who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for shooting down 7 Japanese aircraft in one mission. The P-51 was named "Flying Undertaker" . I used to listen to hanger flying at our business across from a WWII Air Base back when the first hand stories were fresh in the minds of those who were there. I met a lot of WWII Aces and combat air crew members. CCKWs and WCs were used to transport crews to the flightlines, and empty 55 Gallon Drums were used to prop up C-47s for maintenance. Phillipine Guerrillas were used as perimiter Guards at the remote bases. I have a hand made Bowie Knife and its sheath that was given as a gift to uncle Max at the end of the war by one of the Guerrillas. The blade is engraved and the handle is from the horn of an Ox or Yak. It was carried by the guerrilla on missions against the Japanese. It sure would be gruesome if DNA could be detected on it. What is interesting to have grown up in a family of WWII heroes are the mementos that are passed down. I also have trinkets given to me from Uncle Joe who raised me, he was a WWII Ranger and POW. He gave me his SS Ring, and a brass ring that was made by a Turk in one of the other compounds of his POW camp. It was made from a spent .50 cartridge, and engraved using a piece of bone. We had some of the first surplus vehicles for sale at the end of WWII and I grew up in the business. That is how I was able to accumulate NOS WWII parts and sheet metal used to restore my WWII Jeep, CCKWs and trailers. I bought the parts a few at a time as I could afford them over the years.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it