HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED....?

daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED....?

Post by daveyboy »

The seemingly increase in Chevy 1.5 ton interest in the last year?

It may be just my imagination, but it does seem like more Chevy's changing hands to new owners. I have seen the trend before: Jeep owners moving up to 3/4 ton trucks, then I remember when the 1/2 tons started becoming popular after a long time of what seemed like nobody wanting them. Now the 1.5 ton chevies seem to be the hot truck to own.

Might be that they have been over looked for so long because of their size?

Maybe folks realize the advantages of something bigger than a breadbox to drive? Ample room for storage/carrying capacity? A truck that can actually be used to haul more weight and cargo?

In any case, its good to see increased interest. More interest means possibly more reproduction parts being made by vendors. I guess if there is a down side it would be less NOS parts around.
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED....?

Post by Jason »

I got into a conversion about this some time ago. What it is, is that the bulk supply has ran out so those that are looking for a economical truck to restore are now moving to the 1 1/2 ton Chevy. Also 1 1/2 ton Chevy gives you that big truck feel and takes up a little less room than a 2 1/2 ton. If you are looking for a parade vehicle the 1 1/2 ton in a cargo truck can handle a few veterans. Just make sure the clutch is adjusted and you don't just dump the clutch other wise you dump people. Yes that ability to do Yard work is great too. Most of the Engine and drive train parts are also available at your local Parts store making up keep a little less painful on the pocket book.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

that may be it. Supply of more compact vehicles running out. Next step: Chevy 1.5 ton!

aka “THE COUNT”
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

I went by this one last week and it was still there. This week it's gone.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5545
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
The Dodge Boys
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by The Dodge Boys »

For sale. I have a nice Chevy 1.5 ton for sale and nobody is interested. Its back in storage. ???? Bill :?
Dodge207
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Dodge207 »

Gentlemen,
I always wanted a Chevy. My good friend had one back in Wisconsin and it was a pleasure to drive. The one that we just got was a deal and we could not pass it up. I have a jeep and I am also helping a friend with his Dodge. Jeeps are going out of sight price wise and Dodges are heading down the same path. The chevy is a bit large that is why it is at my partners home he has so acreage I live in the down town, But it is cheaper to fix them and there are still a few parts trucks still out there lying around the farms. i would love to save all the WW2 trucks out there However, there is neither the money or time.
Thanks
Dan D.
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by 68427vette »

well,, with cristmas coming up,, it may be that , its the one to "GO" out the door???? for me its what i dont have yet,, but working on the complete set, and soon will be done,, K43, K44, K-51, 1.5 ton. 2.5 ton,, and yes it seams they are popping up,, so parts are parts............... jc
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

You don't need allot of land to have a chevy. I live in a urban setting and have a 1.5 ton in the garage.

http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... 08pic7.JPG
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

how did you fit that is a standard garage?

I think they must make the garage doors lower or something here in texas..I hardly doubt mine will fit under the upper cross support. I beleive its like 7 feet or so.. And I think my chevy is taller than that,

Hummm.. maybe I am mistaken and should check this out....

aka “THE COUNT”
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Yes that is a standard 24X25 garage with a 6'8" door. If you noticed the light bulbs hang down below the roof of the cab. The neighbour noticed that wouldn't fit out the door height wise. What I told her was that as objects approach the speed of light they become smaller. So all I have to do is get it going fast enough to shrink and fit out the door.
Tom @ Snake River
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Darn, I still have a decent 1.5 ton Chev and a parts truck sitting out on the rock pile here in eastern Idaho.
My family used to feed cattle with one when I was a kid in the 60's.
Heck of it is, I just traded a M-38A1 for a Gama Goat. Things just keep jumping in front of the Chevy project.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The nice fresh surplus $800.00 Chev 4x4 was a good buy 50 years ago when hard working Americans were making $1.00 per hour.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by 68427vette »

economy is in the tank,, and 2010 does nt look any better,, people are selling now,(extra projects) :thumbup: , just like selling stock,, sell while you can at a higher price, rather then wait, :thumbdown: ,
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

I was just reading through this thread again and noticed Ranger's older post about a fresh Surplus truck going for $800 50 years ago. With the changes in costs over that half century since 1960, that $800 in 1960 Dollars would be around 12K-15K today. If you look at what GL is getting, the current crop is getting cheaper. The same may be said for a middle of the road motorpool resto of that 1960 surplussed truck!

Dave
1943 GPW 93517 "Basketcase"
1945 WC-52
1953 M-38A1 USAF then USMC
1965 D-100
BB-55 USS North Carolina LHC
..._
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The present economy is having mimimal effect on quality MV parts, sales are slower, prices are not dropping, some are increasing due to cost of doing business.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it