INSURING YOUR CCKW

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

INSURING YOUR CCKW

Post by RANGER »

I have been following with interest the topic of antique vehicle insurance for MVs on another site. This is a serious topic and not all insurers offer coverage that is uniform. The better companies are specific as to what is covered. Some will not insure vehicles if used in reinactments, which makes sense, as the idea of insuring Antique vehicles is to provide premiums for restored vehicles that have limited use restricted to shows and parades.They presume that the vehicle is restored to safe operating condition with functioning brakes and lights, that the vehicle is as sound to operate as when they were when new, and that the vehicle is stored the majority of the time. My policy thru State Farm requires the customer to quote a value and provide photos. In my case, State Farm advised me that policy excludes the operation of the winch. Many owners use their vehicles for every day operation believing they now have cheap insurance. The advice given by some is that "the less that is told to the insurer, the better"-that is pure BS and may come back to haunt you, especially if you have an accident. Before you use your Antique vehicle to tow that new restoration project home, or haul that load of firewood down the highway, think twice. The remarks are amazing, the following is a reply to the insurance query; "I do not do reinactments and have the insurance more from the legal standpoint of being insured to satisfy the local law enforcement agencies and of course parade officials," a statement that flys(pardon the pun)in the face of an earlier post in which the same person claims "our WWII vehicles participate in the attack. Of course we all get killed, but live again to do the same scene on Sunday." Reliable advice, ain't it? :roll:
I tried to follow this same persons' Warbird tales, they sort of followed the same logic. There is no record of this person having past or present membership in the Warbird organization as claimed, and the person is unknown to officials in charge of flying and ground events of that organization. In order to have participated as a pilot as was claimed, membership is mandatory.

Be careful of the advice you get as the wool being pulled over your eyes may not all be virgin.

Insurance is important, if you deceive your agent, you are only fooling yourself. Your CCKW is heavy, over 10,000 lb., safety should constantly be on your checklist.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

VERY SOUND ADVICE.

Hi RANGER:

Those same people you were mentioning probably cheat at Solitare too. :lol: Another thing to consider about insurance, and that is if your willing to "EAT" the cost of repair to your own vehicle. Most companies that insure antique vehicles WILL NOT insure MV's. There are special clauses and stipulations for MV's, and most will not bother. Those that do, will look for any way to get out of paying a claim, so your best bet is "CYA". If ya plan to haul firewood or pick up the kids, let em know ahead of time. It's well worth those extra few bucks they'll charge ya.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Advice for insuring your MV should come from reliable sources such as an established insurance agent. Your personal agent will usually work with you and give you sound advice.
Advice from characters that spin tall tales on web sites is just going to add to the confusion.
Using the adage "the less you tell 'em, the better off you will be" will only spell trouble down the road.
It is hard to BS an insurance carrier at their own game.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it