NOS waterpump problem

Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

NOS waterpump problem

Post by Ken Blythen »

Has anyone had a problem with NOS waterpump bearings being short-lived?

I fitted a NOS kit to a pump about three years ago without any assembly problems but the bearings have just begun to rumble and I can feel slight movement in them.The engine has probably only run 15 hours in that time.

I am wondering if the 60+ year old grease may no longer be up to it. I haven't stripped the pump yet to check what's wrong but I don't think it's a blocked drain-hole or anything of that nature, it was clear on assembly anyhow.

Thanks
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Time has taken a toll on the shaft and bearing. Many NOS 60+ year old waterpump shaft and bearings are still useable, but some due to storage environment, have grease that did not survive due to climate and heat. It is best to buy a currently remanufactured or new waterpump using fresh components. FYI, most US made waterpumps of the 30s-50s had shafts and bearingd made by New Departure. Look at what is printed on the pully end of the shaft. There is no shortage of CCKW waterpumps over here.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it