Another Chevy

Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Another Chevy

Post by Vista52 »

Just another Northern California Farm with a resident 40's Ex-Military Chevy or is this something else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Re: Another Chevy

Post by 36th Tom »

It looks like a Chevy, but it also looks like it has the GMC plate on the grill. It could be a CCKW with one axel removed. I have seen CCKW Farm Trucks done that way before, sometimes with shool bus rear-ends put under them.

Any one else want to play name the truck?
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by retro-roco »

NUmber of louvers on the side hood panels also says "CCKW"...
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Thank you both for your replies. You've both confirmed what I thought about this "Chevy" and that makes me feel much better. :)

Something is not quite 1.5 ton Chevy all the way. Could be quite a few different options I guess, but I think the cab is CCKW.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It's a CCKW, and I am not playing."name the truck".
There is one feature that stands out regardless of grill or louvres and says "I'm a CCKW". See if anyone else can spot the CCKW feature.
It is not the cab.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

Is it the fuel tank?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Hint,
Par shock.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

If I'm seeing it correctly, it has the bracket on the bottom of the rear axle for a torsion bar that was used on dual rear axle trucks such as the CCKW. Hard to make out as the pic is of low quality due to the distance.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Nick Bombini wrote: Hard to make out as the pic is of low quality.

--Nick
Hi Nick,

I just try to do my best!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway...WOW..you's guys are good. It sort of reminds me of the final testimony given by Mona Lisa Vito (Marisa Tomei) in "My Cousin Vinnie". :thumbup:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Hint #2, the difference is in the chassis, a dead giveaway. Hard to miss its right in front of your eyes.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Of course, skinny little front bumper.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

And the bumper (Par Shock) in French, I served with Franco Americans in the service, is a dead give away for the G-506 w/o wn. bumper.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

RANGER wrote:And the bumper (Par Shock) in French, I served with Franco Americans in the service.
I bet not many people know that! Something else to add to your already impressive list of accomplishments. :)

So, do you think as this is principally a Hay-Waggon, they just removed the rear axle and left the frame and longer bed? That does look like a long bed doesn't it.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

6 Decades + of non-stop MV association :thumbup: , Honor Graduate Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, Instructor on same, professional consultant on same, the list goes on forever, no newcomer here. For those who thrive on kicking RANGER around-it's their loss. RANGER enrages those on the darkside and befriends those on the sunnyside of the MV hobby. It ain't easy being at the top. :wink:
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Well, I may of stood in the shade just a time or two, but I never thought of it as being on the darkside. :wink:

But you can definitely count me as being one on the sunnyside now!!! :D :D :D

You got any more CCKW quizzes? :thumbup: