Have you learned anything about the CCKW yet?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Have you learned anything about the CCKW yet?

Post by RANGER »

Hopefully, many of you will have learned that there is more to your CCKW than strapping on a waterbucket and pointing it down the road.

All posts were drawn from 60 years in the company of all versions of the CCKW,involvement with family gov't surplus business, ARMY training by WWII and Korean era Ordnance personell, various TMs, TBs, SBs, and MWOs along with just plain enjoyment of the MV hobby with other dedicated MVPA friends that enjoy OD color paint.

This sort of concludes this series of CCKW bits and pieces. I will still post an item or two and hope to get pics of rare CCKW items on this site as soon as time allows.

BTW, today is the 36th aniversary of being married to the most special lady in the world, she also can drive all Military Vehicles in my turnkey motorpool consisting of Jeeps thru APC.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

Ranger,

your wealth of knowledge and information amazes me yet, comes natural for you and others whom were lucky enough to be around these trucks and jeeps when they were common place. I grab everybit of info that you put out and save it back.

never will my truck have some new fangled 12v system with bubba'd tranny's and engines... If willie & Joe could use it and do just fine, then so will I :wink:
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624

Post by Guest »

Congratulations! Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs RANGER! :D
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Thank you.
Mark mentioned Willie and Joe, there was a post war movie with Willie and Joe with plenty of WWII vehicles, I only saw it once in the late 50s during "senior week" when I was in high school. I do not remember the title, but it was in black and white. Bill Mauldin told me the title of it about 20 years ago, but I have since forgot. Bill had a summer home on the east coast after the war and it is where he used the new CJ-2A Jeep that was a prize possession. Later on he moved the Jeep out west and had it at his New Mexico home in the late 80s. I used to send him parts for it. It was pretty rough after 45 years of use, and I believe that it fell on his hand and caused injury that sort of ended his cartoon career. Sadly, he passed away about 3 years ago. I had his permission to display either Willie or Joe on the cab corner of my open cab CCKW. I still would like to do so.
I enjoyed many conversations with Bill, he was very colorful, and just loved to talk about his Jeep and military life.
It would be a fine tribute to Bill Mauldin to display Willie or Joe on an MV. If I could find the right sketch, I would still do it.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Happy Anniversary Mr & Mrs RANGER!
Congratulations!
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.