RARE CCKW DERIVATIVES

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

RARE CCKW DERIVATIVES

Post by RANGER »

There were many CCKWs that were issued Corps of Engineers responsibility,and did not make it into the common TMs that most of us have seen.
They were:

Refuse Collection Truck (Garbage Packer) mounted on a CCW 6X4 Chassis. It had a 12 cu yard body made by Gar Wood industries.

Machine Shop, Heavy,

Machine Shop Light

Small Tool Repair

Map Layout, Reproduction

Photographic, Map Reproduction

Photographic Reproduction

Plate Grainer, Reproduction

Plate Process, Map Reproduction

Laboratory, Map Reproduction

Electrical Repair shop

General Purpose Repair Shop

Truck, Bolster

These Trucks were still items of issue as late as August 1957, but were on the way out of the system as the 2 1/2 Ton M-Series Reo with similar equipment was replacing them.
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Anyone know what the TM number would be for the Bolster Truck equipment or better yet have a manual they would part with?

A friend has one of these trucks and would like a manual if any were issued.
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

While not a factory derivative several CCKW's were converted post-war in Japan into buses due to an Army need for buses. Crismon's Wheeled Vehicles book has a picture of one being used as an ambulance during Korea and I have often wondered how many were converted. I know that the Army's MAAG unit in Saigon, which became MACV in mid '62, had one as well as other WW2 vehicles (jeep, CCKW) as I rode in the bus '59-62 and it was painted gloss black along with the others.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I'll bet it was a real powerhouse, wasn't it?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Well back then everything was relative but I remember once it got rolling it seemed to do fine, I was in it one block from the Presidential Palace when they attacked it during one of the coup attempts and the driver was rowing through the gears pretty well. Rowing is actually a good description, being a flat nosed COE configuration the driver sat beside the engine cover and the tranny shifter came up and over this cover from the rear so I imagine it had quite a throw when shifting. :lol: On the other side of the engine was a short bench seat going fore and aft where I usually sat, really an interesting vehicle. The radiator fill cover was an old GMC script grille emblem mounted on a hinge.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Little stories like yours are a breath of fresh air and very interesting.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In the out of print "Frontline Color" series that includes six books about air war in Korea publishedby Osprey, there is a photo of a CCKW LWB with a ramp that is built over the cargo body to facilitate the loading of cargo on C-54 aircraft. I will research which of the books it was pictured in.If you like US Air Force history in Korea, this is an excellent series, Warren Thompson is the Author and the 6 different books are just full of rare color photos dedicated to 5 different aircraft. Issie 1 is Mustang Units, #2 F-86, #3 F-84 Units, #4 is B-26 Units, #5 is F-80 Units,etc. Too bad that it was discontinued, as it showed many pieces of WWII ground equipment including the M-1 Bomblift, M-27 Bomb Service Truck, Refueling Trailers, MBT Trailer with seats used as a taxi by the pilots, etc.