Whats with this forum ?

Tom @ Snake River
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Whats with this forum ?

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

After looking back at Ranger s posts, I believe that it is definintly time for a break. Argueing endlessly about mirrors that we all know are inadequate is not a productive use of time.
There is more to life than dominating a particular forum.
That is why I do not visit here often, it that it seemed to be one persons rambleings. When you endlessly amswer your own questions, that is not a good sign of sanity.
I do respect Rangers knowledge and many years of service. Maybe he should take of fishing.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Well at least Ranger would try to help someone who asked for assistance unlike some of the catzickers on other forums. :thumbdown:

Maybe he will make his way back here in time - it sure is quiet on the CCKW posting front at the moment.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

Its really funny. I cant help but comment..

First thing I notice is now that the topic individual has left this forum, is the amount of folks who suddenly started chiming in again. Coincidence? I think not. I think the attitude on this forum was to either keep your mouth shut or face ridcule, and when one fought back, it got worse and there was no winning a discussion. AND the "disciples" of said offending party (And you know who you are) would rather defend his rude and obnotious comments to good forum folks rather than stand up and say something. I never understood... Why? Was it a matter of keeping in his good favor so you had a part source? Ill bet it had a lot to do with it.

I think what a few of you who defend this particular member fail to realize is that :

A) we all appreciate good, techical input from experienced folks
B) we appreciate discussion.
C) we appreciate and like having good parts sources who know their wares

What the same few of you who come to the defense of said parties keep seeming to forget is the things that just arent acceptable, on this forum, or otehrs, or actually in every day life, are:

a) Calling someone rude names (i.e calling Paul Farber "FARBY" for instance)

He who knows that term realizes that its very derogatory, yet said recipient of this term being thrown at him took it graciously. Better than most would have. I can think of others who took this same blunt lack of respect as well, and finally left.

Let think back...hummm... "final sol***tion" perhaps? Now thats was just NOT RIGHT. Yet his followers sat back and said nothing publicly.

B) Everyone ELSE is a lousy mechanic, just because he decides to mod his vehicle
WRONG.... If you go back on posts by said parties, I was once noted as "Davey....He can talk truck" that is, UNTIL I decided to install a 5 speed and 12 volt conversion. Then I was considered MUD and started taking snips as well.

C) Constantly be-littling everyone else that does not agree with you 100%, yet putting oneself CONSTANTLY on a pedastal, with "I am the best" and " I know all" attitude. It gets old. Did he earn the right to do so? I say yes. BUT.. Like the old saying goes, "Self praise is like no praise at all"

With all that said, I think the forum is better off without him. Sorry to you "Disciples" who disagree. The man was rude, mean and disrespectful to say the least. Sometimes it just aint worth it. Did I benifit from his wisdom and parts? Of course. Just like you all. But again, it aint WORHT IT.

We should al just be as respectful as we can to each other. Otherwise, you get what happened here.
Last edited by daveyboy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by retro-roco »

Oh this is funny! :lol:

Did you guys think Ranger was gone?? What ever gave you that idea? Just take a look under General Discussion. He's still here!

Regarding the mention of his "disciples"... I suppose that I might be guilty as charged. :?

The proof? I never admonished him IN PUBLIC for his occasional questionable posts.

For those of you who keep track of these things, please send me your e-mail addresses so that I can CC: you when I PM someone PRIVATELY to discuss calmly my feelings about their post(s).

I would really like to see a new option created specifically to capture the huge volume of CCKW and Chevy information that has been and continues to be posted here. I don't just mean by Joel :D

I think a Wiki format would be a much more efficient approach for submitting, organizing, editing etc...

The ideal format would be laid out much like a TM, with major categories, broken down into sub-assemblies...
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

I think it comes down to tolerance......
I haven't been on this forum for quite some time because of the above discussion....
I am in the process of "restoring" a WW2 Canadian Chevrolet 8cwt CMP, and post on the Maple Leaf Up forum.
Because of the extensive damage to it, and the many missing original parts, I chose to upgrade and modify a lot of items to get it back on the road again.
These trucks are fairly rare around the world, with only three I know of in the U.S..
The folks on the MLU forum are very knowledable concerning these trucks, and very dedicated to their hobby. Most strive to keep their trucks and restorations VERY original.
I'm sure they cringe every time I post on a new modification or upgrade, but I have yet to have a single negative remark from anyone. I have received nothing but encouragement and help, (although I'm sure there are members who would like to choke me). :D
Thanks, David
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I don't think we cringe too much, David.

You rescued that C8, and now you are putting it back together with all the original parts you have and using mostly contemporary parts to make up for the missing stuff, and you are altering the parts to fit the original truck and not cutting the truck about - job done, no problem.

I don't think there is anywhere in the world (outside New Zealand ) where you can get C8 spares.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

I would like to hear from the man himself.

He has PM'ed me a couple of times in the last week and I can assure you that he remains quite eloquent and able.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

I know he aint "gone" One can see his latest postings on the Market section. Also, anyone can tell when another member is "online" at any time.

He still serfs but isnt commenting, at least on this forum.
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Untergruppenfuher »

Vista 52, Paul, asked me to post a photo of my BRG painted truck. So, here it is. Please be kind. This is work, was going to write- "Wreck", in progress. It is a little dusty. Also, before the paint hardened completely the goats climbed all over the fenders and hood maring the paint some. I have to rub it out- hopefully I will not have to repaint it. Also, the wheels were salvaged from around the country, sand blasted to bare metal, epoxy primered and finished with as close a WWII GI paint as I could find.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

That looks like a very nice solid truck you have there for being nearly 70 years old. :thumbup:

You have done very well, congratulations.

The BRG Metallic will serve as a very good base coat. :) .. If you spend anymore time hanging around here you might change your mind and need a few gallons of Olive Drab and some of Ranger's Blue Drab.

Your first mistake was loggin in here....Olive Drab is ADDICTIVE. :twisted: :D
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
abn deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by abn deuce »

Nice that another fine HMV has been saved. We each do what we can to save and preserve a bit of history. Well done .
1945 GMC CCKW353h-1 488*** Air portable with winch and dump body
19** wooden Ben Hur (rebuilt) 2-15-1958
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Untergruppenfuher »

OK, THanks for the compliments. That being said when do I get promoted from Corporal, T5?

Also, i think Vista 52 is right about the plane at the park in Ft. Garland CO. It is a T-33 trainer. I was thinking about about another park that a Korean War era jet on a pylon but cannot remmember where it is.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

pmcree wrote:It is a shame. But I run into this all over in the car world. Ranger had a lot of knowledge but he wanted to be the undesputed leader of the pack and insulted everyone, including myself. Whether he was aware of his pompus attitude of not I don't know. pfarber just got feed up and called him out. Ranger is like the guy who circles your car or truck for an hour trying to find a flaw just to point it out to you. Not saying he is a bad guy, I have friends that are that way and you just roll your eyes.

It is a shame we just can't get along.

Well, Farber has at least one friend. He should not be lonesome :lol:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Tom @ Snake River wrote:After looking back at Ranger s posts, I believe that it is definintly time for a break. Argueing endlessly about mirrors that we all know are inadequate is not a productive use of time.
There is more to life than dominating a particular forum.
That is why I do not visit here often, it that it seemed to be one persons rambleings. When you endlessly amswer your own questions, that is not a good sign of sanity.
I do respect Rangers knowledge and many years of service. Maybe he should take of fishing.

You still do not visit here often. :)
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

daveyboy wrote:Its really funny. I cant help but comment..

First thing I notice is now that the topic individual has left this forum, is the amount of folks who suddenly started chiming in again. Coincidence? I think not. I think the attitude on this forum was to either keep your mouth shut or face ridcule, and when one fought back, it got worse and there was no winning a discussion. AND the "disciples" of said offending party (And you know who you are) would rather defend his rude and obnotious comments to good forum folks rather than stand up and say something. I never understood... Why? Was it a matter of keeping in his good favor so you had a part source? Ill bet it had a lot to do with it.

I think what a few of you who defend this particular member fail to realize is that :

A) we all appreciate good, techical input from experienced folks
B) we appreciate discussion.
C) we appreciate and like having good parts sources who know their wares

What the same few of you who come to the defense of said parties keep seeming to forget is the things that just arent acceptable, on this forum, or otehrs, or actually in every day life, are:

a) Calling someone rude names (i.e calling Paul Farber "FARBY" for instance)

He who knows that term realizes that its very derogatory, yet said recipient of this term being thrown at him took it graciously. Better than most would have. I can think of others who took this same blunt lack of respect as well, and finally left.

Let think back...hummm... "final sol***tion" perhaps? Now thats was just NOT RIGHT. Yet his followers sat back and said nothing publicly.

B) Everyone ELSE is a lousy mechanic, just because he decides to mod his vehicle
WRONG.... If you go back on posts by said parties, I was once noted as "Davey....He can talk truck" that is, UNTIL I decided to install a 5 speed and 12 volt conversion. Then I was considered MUD and started taking snips as well.

C) Constantly be-littling everyone else that does not agree with you 100%, yet putting oneself CONSTANTLY on a pedastal, with "I am the best" and " I know all" attitude. It gets old. Did he earn the right to do so? I say yes. BUT.. Like the old saying goes, "Self praise is like no praise at all"

With all that said, I think the forum is better off without him. Sorry to you "Disciples" who disagree. The man was rude, mean and disrespectful to say the least. Sometimes it just aint worth it. Did I benifit from his wisdom and parts? Of course. Just like you all. But again, it aint WORHT IT.

We should al just be as respectful as we can to each other. Otherwise, you get what happened here.

Are you sure you didn't leave something out Davyboy? :)