Whats with this forum ?

mmamajor
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: Whats with this forum ?

Post by mmamajor »

I have to agree with FISCH's statement: "There are definattely two types in the car world the "Keep em stock/ original" and the "Street Rod/ Mod" guys." This is so true, and Ranger is definitely the "stock" guy. I myself used to be the mod type, in high school, my Firebird had SS Cragars and the big meats (L-60's) on the back, chrome here and there, but became a stock guy back when I was restoring my 69 GTO. I guess I will forever be stock, buy I have to say that both camps need one another. And the two camps are their own teams. I like to compare us to the band members (stock) and football players (modifieds) in high school. Both have their own purpose, both share a common hobby. The footballers will always try to get the ball downfield the quickest or by using the latest "tricks" to accomplish their goal, the band members like to march in unison, stick to the written music and are more critical of the outcome, as when they deviate from the written, it can be a mess. So what came first...the chicken or the egg? The footballers or band members? stock or modified? Both have been there from day one, and let's all admit it, without one another, we have nothing. Andy
1942 Chevy G-506 7107 Cargo DOD 5-20-42
1942 Ford Script GPW #19671 DOD 5-18-42
M-5 Bomb Trailer
1966 wife: all factory original, great body, purrs like a kitten

"If your brain doesn't work, your body will."
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

This is a great topic and we should thank Kration for beginning it. It directly relates to what form and direction we want our Forum to take.

As I read it, Kration's point was, why do we allow bad behavior in speech and manner. Is it okay for someone to make up their own set of rules because they are "Army Trained, been in the Business 6o plus years, from the old school, by the book DaveyBoy. Codes of behavior have to apply to everyone, don't they? If not, then you are making a deal with the devil.

The position of "Only By the Book", "Original Only" is a perfect trap. How do you argue against it? It's like trying to have a rational discussion with a person from MADD. You can't defend drunk driving, period, and that person from MADD knows it.

The discussion Mod/Original should be just that, a discussion. The problems come when people turn their point of view into some sort of religious dogma to be defended to the point of rudeness.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by FISCH »

Agree with Vista on the last. Which is why I personally try not to take myself too seriously.

After all if you can't have fun, why do it?

I think the contention is... there is a silent third group. The middle. I am the guy that likes stock, but understands that sometimes you have to do what you have to do to have the truck run.... one thing to inherit errors or be against the unubtainium of parts, another thing to cut up a perfectly good truck.

An example is a guy in the Model T arena who spent at least two years looking for original acetaline lights for his car only to cut them up to mod for electric. Doesn't make sense in time or money when reproductions can be easily had for less money. The guy thought about it and .. went 'duh' kept the originals, but bought repros that he modded so he could drive at night.

The problem we got into here is 1) cheap shots, percieved or otherwise and 2) tone; hey lets face it tone is one of the hardest things to convey in the written format.

So again I would suggest some etiquete and all three of us types can agree to enjoy the forum.
WC-56
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

[quote="FISCH"] Which is why I personally try not to take myself too seriously.

That's very sensible FISCH because I can assure you that none of us do either.

OH WAIT A MINUTE

That's very sensible FISCH because I can assure you that none of us do either. :D :D :D :thumbup:

See wot ya mean :thumbup:
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

What the non-original crowd don't seem to realize is that they are shooting themselves in the foot when it comes time to sell - after investing so much of their time and money, no-one wants their "improved" vehicles.

I know of just such a case recently with a WW2 truck that is modified and short-cutted - no one wanted it when offered for sale.

And there is the liability question too with amateur engineers thinking they know better than the factory designers - Frankenstein thought his monster was pretty cool too until it all went wrong.

Can you tell which group I'm in?? :wink:
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Untergruppenfuher »

Robbo, I can't say that I agree with you entirely. My '42 1.5 ton is painted British Racing Green metalic, has LED tail lights, and diamond plate home made running boards, 12 volt electrical system. Other than that it is original. There have been three serious offers to buy it from me at prices close to or above what I have in it. I agree that if I went crazy with it and put in a V-8, auto transmission, 16 inch radial tires, lemon yellow paint job with button tuck upholsterd bucket seats and fringe with those little hanging balls on the window frames the offers to buy would probably be confined to a select few, very few.

OVer the years I have seen these trucks 'rodded out and made into mud bogging bigger foot monstrosities. Each time I wince. The same thing happened to the Willys Overlands and PUs which are real hard to find in original condition.
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

[quote="Untergruppenfuher"]Robbo, I can't say that I agree with you entirely. My '42 1.5 ton is painted British Racing Green metalic, has LED tail lights, and diamond plate home made running boards, 12 volt electrical system. Other than that it is original.

Wow, that sounds like a 1st. Any chance of a photo of your truck? Maybe sitting underneath that T-33 Trainer in Vets Memorial Park, Fort Garland.
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Vista 52
That IH of yours looks pretty correct what an utterly amazing truck you have there! I really appreciate what you have done with it. Preserving a rare WWII Marine for the future to be able to look at. I gotta say thankyou.I would love to take on a IH project. Do you know of any trucks for sale?

Steve A
FrankUSMC
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by FrankUSMC »

Steve
You are way to shy......you should have asked sooner about WWII Internationals, last week end, I gave a Marine here a very good deal on all my WWII Internationals. He got a M2-4 with winch and two M3-4s with winches. All had complete bodies, hated to see them go, but he promised them a good home.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Frank,Frank.....tell me it aint so. I have been looking for years for an M2-4.
Do you know if the Marine you sold them to is gonna restore them or sell them?

Steve A
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Hi Steve A,

Thank you for your kind words, I'm not sure though that I deserve them. :)

I found my first IHC M-2-4 by accident. It took nearly 2 years to find out who owned it, which gave me plenty of time to research them a little. As you probably know, there's not much documentation around.

I've always had the greatest admiration for the deeds of the USMC, especially at places like Belleau Wood and the whole of the WW2 Pacific Campaign.

I will keep you in mind if I hear anything. The picture below is my first, found in Quartzsite Arizona.

I've got some links that you may find interesting. I'll send them when I get them together.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMV
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by NWMV »

Well lets see does this make Farber the NEW CCKW guru by default. Maybe now we will finally see pics of his truck.
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Vista52 wrote:
Untergruppenfuher wrote:Robbo, I can't say that I agree with you entirely. My '42 1.5 ton is painted British Racing Green metalic, has LED tail lights, and diamond plate home made running boards, 12 volt electrical system. Other than that it is original.

Wow, that sounds like a 1st. Any chance of a photo of your truck? Maybe sitting underneath that T-33 Trainer in Vets Memorial Park, Fort Garland.
I need to take a newer photo of it since the one i have in the computer is from a year ago. Thanks for motivating me to get out the camera.

T-33? I do believe that plane in a "Thunderstreak", a two seater, straight wing, Navy plane with tip tanks from the Korean War era. I could be wrong.
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Oops. Not a "thunderstreak", I was reminded that was an F-84.

I think the plane in Ft. Garland was a Lockheed F-80, "Shooting Star".
Untergruppenfuher
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Vista52 wrote:Hi Steve A,

Thank you for your kind words, I'm not sure though that I deserve them. :)

I found my first IHC M-2-4 by accident. It took nearly 2 years to find out who owned it, which gave me plenty of time to research them a little. As you probably know, there's not much documentation around.

I've always had the greatest admiration for the deeds of the USMC, especially at places like Belleau Wood and the whole of the WW2 Pacific Campaign.

I will keep you in mind if I hear anything. The picture below is my first, found in Quartzsite Arizona.

I've got some links that you may find interesting. I'll send them when I get them together.

Paul.
Nice find. You have some work ahead of you but the results are well worth the effort. good luck.