Postwar surplus CCKWs in USA

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Postwar surplus CCKWs in USA

Post by RANGER »

The 1940s-1950s were banner years in the USA, as they were being surplussed in proportion to the downsizing of the peacetime Military. Many were new or like new and were as good as or better shape as those retained by the Armed Services. The general condition of the average surplus truck depended on the branch of service that released it. Those that were released by the Army seemed to be less shabby than the Air Force and Navy. The best reason for the condition of CCKWs released by the Navy and Airforce is that they had to requisition parts from Army supply Depots, which may have complicated the paperwork. The USAF trucks had a lot of expedient repairs on them. I remember some with the universal horn buttons clamped to the side of the steering column. (Remember the Crates marked "From Transportation Officer Anniston Army Depot To Transportation Officer Mirimar Naval Air Station, or to Transportation Officer, Presque Isle Air Force Base, Maine ?)
The Army Air Force Trucks faired a little better, but the change to US Air Force changed that. For a few years, the US Air Force retained WWII Army trained mechanics, and the CCKWs were in better hands than they were in the USAF trained mechanics of the 50s-60s. There were many catagories of surplus trucks and some were classed as scrap due to cannibalization. Many scrap vehicles were actually in better mechanical and cosmetic condition than those sold as V.G. Running Condition. Surplus CCKW parts were numerous at the major US Depots up thru the late 60s. Too bad we can't go back in time. I was lucky as I started saving NOS CCKW items in the late 50s for the day I would own one in the 80s.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it