CCKW/AFKW chassis thickness

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW/AFKW chassis thickness

Post by RANGER »

I may have mentioned this before, but there is evidence that some CCKW chassis have had their numbers restamped elsewhere than the GMC factory. If the font does not match the GMC factory font, it may have been done at a rebuild at some point in its' life. If your truck has confusing USA Registration found by careful wet sanding the hood, and it conflicts with the USA Registration number discovered under layers of Tailgate paint, there is one more indicator that can be used to "date" your chassis. Sometime in early 1944 (no information on the specific chassis number it began), the Chassis rails were increased in thickness from 1/4" thick to 5/16" in thickness. Any CCKW or AFKW chassis produced after sometime early in 1944 will be the thicker one.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A check of your Chassis will find 4 digit numbers stamped on components that make up your chassis, if one researches the ORD 9, it will be found that there are groups of chassis variations dependent on the serial No. of the CCKW. For example the first group listed is for chassis frames used on CCW, CCKWX, and CCKW prior to chassis No. 41189. (The AFKW actually share common chassis components with the CCKW) There were specific differences in some chassis that certain body types were used on, for example, the Air Compressor Trucks and some Vans had frame members with extra reinforcing to the sides and bottom from the cab back towards the rear. One can study the ORD 9 and find several production groups of Chassis for the CCKW along with long lists of different members that were specific to the above mentioned chassis. There are GM part numbers assigned to each frame component, and they are listed in the SNLs, what one will not find listed in the SNLs are the 4 digit numbers printed in the familiar GM font, they will be found on the factory drawings. These are the parts numbers used by the chassis subcontractor. This is no big deal and many manufacturers use this system. The MB thru M-38A1 chassis also had four digit numbers stamped by Mather, the contractor for the Jeep chassis, and those also did not show up in the SNLs but could be found on Willys factory drawings. What is more interesting is the imagination used by some in trying to reason out why they exist all over the truck chassis. They are simply the subcontractors' part numbers for the chassis components, and if one could have access to the CCKW chassis drawings, they would be evident. It is not necessary for them to be printed in the TM10 and ORD9 Parts Manuals. There is also evidence that the CCKW chassis was stamped out at more than one location in the US.

It is mind boggling to reason out why so many variations exist for example, the RH SWB side member, it may have to do with holes punched for different routing of brake lines as the CCKW was updated, or it may be for the difference in frame members of Banjo vs Split, for chassis w/winch or wo/winch, or the type of battery box used for that run.
These details are sort of incidental to the whole truck, and are minor, as the individual chassis parts are no longer available, and if they were, they would be a nightmare at the parts counter.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Tip,
take a caliper to your next MV rally or when you are looking at a CCKW to buy, you will at least have an idea if the year is correct. I have had oportunities to judge at MVPA events, and a caliper would certainly be part of my judging kit.
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ken Blythen »

My CCW definitely has 5/16" thick chassis rails but as I understand, is a 1942.

I'm basing this on info from the N.Z. Govt archives relating to the delivery etc of the truck in 1942 as follows -

GMC truck CCW-353 - Imported through General Motors NZ Ltd.

Arrived MKD on ship 'Joaquin Miller' 4th December 1942

Chassis No. 9103 ( no extra letters in records or on chassis)

Engine No. 7790 (presumably 270 7790 - I don't have the original motor now)

Cab/tray & canvas canopy

Can anyone verify the date of manufacture, given the chassis no. ? I have heard of heavier "Pacific chassis" trucks but these may have been a myth.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Interesting, as the source I quoted was from US Army Ordnance reports on the CCKW series, indicating 1944. The CCW was not produced after 1942. one more mystery. Your Chassis No. is correct for 1942.