CCKW UNIVERSAL JOINTS-Attn: "DURABLE JONES"!

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW UNIVERSAL JOINTS-Attn: "DURABLE JONES"!

Post by RANGER »

The original WWII GM installed Spicer Universal Joints had a Relief Valve installed in the center of the Journal, the purpose of the Valve was to prevent excessive lubricant pressures and was calibrated to release at a minimum of 45 PS1, and a maximum of 80 PSI. Too much pressure would damage the 4 Cork Gaskets that sealed the Journals to the Bearing Caps, thus the Relief Valves. The Replacement U-Joints available today have Neoprene Gaskets.

When I restored my CCKW, I used all NOS Propeller shafts with the original U- Joints with these valves. It is easy to see if your U-Joints are of the original type as they are Hexagon Shaped and threaded into the center face of the journal. As you grease the U-Joints, a spring loaded cap in the center of the valve will lift and release grease if the limits of the valve are exceeded. Chevrolet 4X4 had these valves on the U-Joints also.

USEFUL RELATED TRIVIA:

You will find these valves on the rear axle tubes of the M-38 and M-38A1 Jeep, but they are calibrated for much lower pressures. Too much pressure at the rear wheel bearings would blow the seals at the backing plate and it would ruin the brake shoes. The Army had an Urgent MWO to remove the Grease Fittings on the rear axles of the M-38 Series Jeeps and replace them with plugs that were removed at 12000 Mile intervals to grease the rear wheel bearings. The reason for theJeep MWO was that some drivers were not following the 12000 mile interval on the LO and there were many reports from the field on rear wheel seal failures.

You will not find these on the Axle housings of the 45-65 CJ-2A, CJ-3A, and CJ-5 Jeeps, as they had just a small drilled hole at the top of the axle tube at the backing plate.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My friend Joel Gopan has these relief valves.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it