CCKW DRIVERS THEN and NOW-A LITTLE FUN

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW DRIVERS THEN and NOW-A LITTLE FUN

Post by RANGER »

In WWII there was no problem with becoming a "lean mean fighting machine", but now days one can run into problems, as civilian owners of CCKWs come in all sizes and shapes. Take for instance, the Open Cab CCKW, it was not made for the oversize, the door openings see to that. Once you do get in, if you have a pot belly you will wear the "badge" of the heavy duty CCKW driver on your shirt, the horizontal steering wheel "skidmark". :wink:
The Closed Cab is a tad easier to enter and egress, but it is evident that the Open Cab CCKW was not made for some post war operators. :P
You can surf websites of MV and Warbird shows and see what I am talking about. I am only 5'9" and 185lb, If I only had a pot belly, I too, could wear a "skidmark". Oh, well, give me some time.

Sometimes war is good for you :roll:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Hope I did not offend too many, but reality strikes real fast when a collector finds that there is little room for excess baggage when in the drivers seat of an MB/GPW or CCKW. I enjoy hauling Veterans up front in my CCKW but it sometimes is quite a chore to help them up into the cab. I have some aches and pains from my Army days, but it seems to disappear when my truck is rolling, and I am sure the WWII Passengers that are my guests of honor feel a little younger during the short ride. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Length and circumference is a problem in those oldies.
I am skinny but about 5.9 also.
In the 33/4 ton Dodge I had I had to brake with my leg at an angle to avoid jamming it between the wheel and pedal.
My 1/2 ton has more clearance.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The trucks were fine and well designed, and it was not invisioned that our fighting men would be out of shape. Restoration involves more than just your truck. :wink: Junk food was not available to wartime GIs and the vets still long for the good 'ol days when they felt so good. I still do.