Don't pack your bags Ranger!

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Don't pack your bags Ranger!

Post by Robbo »

Looks like you've missed your chance Ranger and won't be retiring to a villa in the sunny Bahamas on the proceeds of a juicy GMC book advance . :wink:

David Doyle is apparently writing a book on the CCKW - I hope it has a lot of good detail on the development of these trucks as there is a gap in the market with little written on them compared to the jeep. Factory photographs rather than pictures of restored trucks would be desirable.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Don't pack your bags Ranger!

Post by RANGER »

I noticed Mr Doyle was seeking information and look forward to his book. His articles are well researched. The availible WWII collectors books vary in detail, and sometimes photos of trucks belonging to private colectors are included. Many of us recognize photos of the CCKW Open Cab with bomb service steering wheel, metric instruments, water buckets, missing glove box door, substitute seat bottoms, pioneer tools attached with bungees, etc. I hope the innacurate photos are kept to a minimum as they tend to confuse collectors into thinking they are gospel and tend to raise more questions.
I notice he is soliciting information on Wood and Composite cargo bodies, some recent restorations have substituted M-Series hardware,installed wrong bolts, and have not followed the specs of the WWII TMs. They may not be representitive of WWII construction. There are a handfull of unaltered CCKWs in the USA and overseas with intact Composite or Wood Cargo bodies. I know of a few in the USA that come to mind.
The information is out there in bits and pieces thru official glossy WWII photos, and in WWII manuals. I have picked up a few WWII glossy photos over the years along with some original NOS components of wood and composite bodies. The types of bolts nuts and washers are mind boggling, there are specialized bolts that most collectors have never realized existed. I have been collecting quantities of these fasteners to help out fellow collectors and restoration shops.
It takes time, money, and patience to find wood cargo body information.
I am excited over the prospect of a new CCKW book from a recognized authority.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

I have helped him in the past with some information.... :)
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

The best source of information would be GM's "Engineering War Record" book or files. Hope he can get to see them. I understand it hasn't been easy to arrange access to their archives.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Authenticity is great, there are clear wartime photos. It is nice, however to see how some collectors have done, but the variation from the original should be noted.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The book is in print,very well done interesting photos of the quality CCKW restorations across the continent and of the George Marshall Museum.
This is a good coffee table quality book.
Jeroen Sleijpen
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: MVPA member #18214
MVT
BMVT
G535 1945 MACK NM8 D 7880
194? Steel products Co. trailer full, flat bed 16-TON

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen »

So I should order this book? I always take a step back when it comes to books with pics of "restored" vehicles... I prefer original pictures of our vehicles during WWII or in their working years after the war.
But according to you and some other posters, this must be a good book?
MVT
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I also prefer original WWII pictures, factory, if possible.
This book portrays the comfort level with detail of some familiar collectors, they are all nice but there is always some minor details that can be tweaked, and these are the fun items we all are constantly seeking, Isn't that what what the enjoyment portion of the hobby is all about?
The book is nuce and fills a niche in the cravings of collectors that want more CCKW pictures.
Remember, this is a "Walk Around" book, and not a "how to" manual.
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

I received my new Squadron Books CCKW Walk-around booklet the other day.

I have not read much of it which is mostly description of what is shown in the pictures.

The pictures are nice. The only mistake I have found is that the closed cab LWB truck with the MG mount has an M37 mount on it from a SWB truck though it is listed as an M32 mount.

I have seen lots of European returns with the M37 mount on a closed cab LWB CCKW. I am not sure, but I think you must have to hard bolt down the front of the cargo body to use this mount instead of the anti-twisting spring mounts.
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys