CCKW ID IS TRICKY

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW ID IS TRICKY

Post by RANGER »

There is a picture of a CCKW on the net that has the guys drooling and attempting to ID. Don't get too confident and try to figure out why a 42 CCKW has a Wood Cargo Body. This truck served the 58 Bomb Wing, a B-29 unit, in India 1944. Remember,all supplies had to be flown in to this unit in that part of India, that means CCKWs had to be in knocked down condition, and all may not have been reassembled as they were intended. This truck was part of a large 1942 contract of 59873 CCKWs, with some 300 being just Cab and Chassis. It depends upon the Aircraft that hauled the pieces. A C-47 may have had room for just two bare CCKW chassis, and many flights were needed to transport just a few trucks. The opportunity for mixed truck components was certainly a possibility.

Being an Aviation Historian, I am aware that B-29 Bombers destined for India flew over the Northeastern US in the winter of 43-44, the first mission was in June 44. Supplies for the 58th Bomb Wing were probably set aside starting a a year in advance. Fuel for the B-29s in India was flown in in specially converted B-24 Bombers called the C-109(C-one-oh BOOM). Some B-29s were also used to transport AvGas. They were stationed in the middle of nowhere. A lot of logistics were involved to get the 58th up and going in India in 1943-1944.
There are two excellent books that may touch on flying supplies into India, one is "It Began at Imphal" by John G. Martin (there are WWII vehicle scenes, but no CCKW detail) and "Flying the Hump" by Don Downie (it does have many color pictures, there may be an isolated CCKW). I have them in my library but due to the size of it I had to put some in storage. I would love to reread them to get insight.

There is a hint in the photo that the truck is 1942 early 43(contract may have taken until 43 to deliver) vintage and not later, who can tell what it is. The right answer gets one "attaboy".

Don't give up, give it a try.
Last edited by RANGER on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Where on the net is the picture located?

Post by Guest »

The GMC CCKW Forum Index
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

The only idea I have is the second door latch that was never there as evident on early open cabs (so I've heard). I haven't been researching these trucks all that long so I would love to find out what the difference is.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

You're sure now, that the latch hole is not there either, the picture is not that clear.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

I'm curious now, how are you able to tell that is an early truck? I would love to learn. Every one the informational tidbit posts you make I soak up like a sponge. I love learning new things about these trucks.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 GPW
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Nicky baby, your sponge has a dry spot, surely you must have read Bryce Sunderlins "Army Motors" articles on the evolution of the CCKW over and over by now, Issue 52, Page 13 at CCKW bumper level, indicates the time frame that the GMC factory 4" Registration Numbers changed to 2". It took me a couple hours to find the old AM 52. The 58 Bomb Wing CCKW has its original 4" numbers (note theGM font). I have seem many surplus trucks and hundreds of CCKW photos over many years, it is sort of automatic to just take these details in stride as I am looking at old friends whenever I see a CCKW.
I'll send you a new sponge.
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

I have read some of the articles but I have never taken the time to sit down and read through them all. I guess now is the time. I'm going to download and print them right now :D.

Thanks for the telling me about the numbers. I'll keep that in mind when looking at old photos now and any trucks I may come across in my travels.

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 GPW
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Sometimes USA Registrations were redone to meet the area regulations as in Europe, you will not see many intact hood numbers after they left the assembly or storage areas. Note the 4" registrations and the variations that appeared in Europe. It happened here and there in the Pacific, also, but was not as widespread.
One cannot mistake the GMC 4" font.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One of my favorite examples of how owners ID their CCKW.
Not real tricky, but an interesting stretch of the imagination nontheless. :wink:

An owner claims to have "paperwork" documenting his CCKW from its issue to an US Army Air Field in Texas, dated 43, and subsequent history ending with the CCKW being surplused in 49. The truck was yellow when it was released.
Wouldn't it be nice if the owner could produce that Army paperwork for all to see, as it would be a rare CCKW moment of truth. What is contradictory about the owners 1943 claim, is that the "original"(has one too many digits) USA registration number places it in the 1945 time frame going by the first 3 digits. It is possible that the hood may have been exchanged at some time, the chassis number would be the best verification of dating the CCKW.

I am anticipating a collector to someday come forward and claim that they have documents to prove General Patton or General Hap Arnold drove their truck.

We all are curious as to the background of our vehicle, some are lucky as they have been able to carefully sand the bumpers and find WWII unit markings, but there is always a possibility that the bumper may have been swapped due to damage. If the bumperettes have similar markings, your chances of verification are that much better. Hood Numbers are not all that reliable, for example there are photos of a Norwegian CCKW 352 with CCKW 353 hood and tailgate registration numbers, the truck also is now an Open Cab, but was originally a Closed Cab.

Others have discovered sand in the recesses of their rear spring seats, and it just has to be from "D-Day" In reality all CCKWs collect road dirt in that location. It is as common as "lint" in one's belly button.