CCKW restoration advice

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW restoration advice

Post by RANGER »

Start at the bottom of your truck and work to the top, finishing with the sheetmetal and cosmetics. It may take a bit longer, years maybe, but your truck will prance along with the best of them, and you will not have to worry about "what's going to happen next?".
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One good reason to do the mechanical restoration first is to save the sheetmetal for last in order not to scratch up that nice paint job.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

Here is a thought and the way I did the bomb truck. Start at the rear do the rear frame and bed. Then the next year do the front.

I taped off the front half of the truck cleaned and sandblasted the rear half in the fall then spent the winter putting it back together so that spring I could use the truck for parades and such. Mind you have to be careful not to mess up what you already have done. Then dissassembled the front half the next year and did it. As soon as I get the website fixed I will add a link to the process.

Now that I have started truck # two I am doing the frame up method. But wow do you end up with alot of pieces laying around to keep track of.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg