Pinion yoke

SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Pinion yoke

Post by SwampBox »

:oops: Does anybody have any tips for getting the pinion yoke off on the front axle of a DUKW. It is pretty rusted but I have been soaking it for a few weeks. I've tried a puller and heat to no avail. :x

I've got the puller on it now with lots of force on it hoping maybe just the pressure will help break it lose in time. I put it on there last week and I never had time to look this week to see if it budged any.
Steve Greenberg
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 M3A1 Stuart Light Tank
1944 GMC 2 1/2 Ton Amphibian Truck (DUKW)

Stuck DUKW Yoke

Post by Steve Greenberg »

Hello,
While the puller is on with a fair amount of pressure, hit the end of the shaft of the puller. Sometimes the shock will free it up.
Did you get the yoke red hot? If not, Try the heat again.
I have some NOS DUKW pinion seals.
Good luck,
Steve 8)
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

I never got the whole yoke cherry red but that was going to be my next step. I also tried beating the end of the puller shaft. If I get time I will heat it up real good and see what happens.

Mark
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

If you have another yoke, bolt it onto the existing one upside down and insert the puller bolt thru it with a suitable nut in between.

I have used this technique to get them off before

Steve AKA Dr Deuce
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

Thanks Dr. Deuce, I don't have another yoke. At least not that I know of. I will have to take a look. I haven't had a chance to try anything else yet as I have been too busy. Maybe in the next few weeks.

Mark
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

I haven't had a chance to get back to this. Been too busy. It is sill sitting there with the puller on it. :lol:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

What type of a puller are you using? Is it heavy duty? I hope I am not offending, but perhaps if you contact a local heavy duty truck mechanic, he will have the tools to make the job easy. I have never had a Banjo yoke that would not pull off, it sometimes takes a professional touch.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

RANGER wrote:What type of a puller are you using? Is it heavy duty?
Yes it is Heavy duty.
RANGER wrote: I hope I am not offending, but perhaps if you contact a local heavy duty truck mechanic, he will have the tools to make the job easy. I have never had a Banjo yoke that would not pull off, it sometimes takes a professional touch.
No you are not offending but I am a heavy duty truck mechanic. Fire Truck to be specific. :lol:
If I told you the story of this DUKW you would understand why it is stuck.

I haven't had a chance to fool with it anymore since my original post because I've been to busy. It's one of those things that I am supposed to work on when I have nothing to do but lately I haven't had enough hours in a day to keep up. I'm a one man operation. Have to look in the mirror to give orders. LOL

Actually last week they talked about hiring me a helper but I will believe it when I see it. U know how the government is. :roll:
Jason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Jason »

I know the feeling of not haveing enough time to work on the trucks.

I had one that sounds the same at the one you have. the spline was a little rusty makeing the yoke come out hard all the way.

Wish you luck on finding time and getting it off.

I have to remove the tree stump from the yard and paint the garage this weekend.
The 1943 Chevy Bomb truck Shown at Findley Oh 2005
http://omega.ipfw.edu/~davisjr/Truck194 ... ndleyB.jpg