YOUR CCKW 270 CID HEAVY DUTY TRUCK ENGINE

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

YOUR CCKW 270 CID HEAVY DUTY TRUCK ENGINE

Post by RANGER »

The 270 is not a 256 that has been "stroked and bored", if the 256 had been stroked, it would be the crankshaft that was altered, and the block would remain unchanged. As far as the 256 being bored to become the 270, that is also untrue, as it has the same bore as the 270 and uses the same piston rings.
What did happen is that a deeper block was cast for the 270, and a new crankshaft with increased stroke was incorporated.

If you are in the market to purchase a 270 engine, be cautious and ask the right questions. If at all possible, purchase the Engine from a person with background knowledge ot the 270 and its variations, this will save a lot of headaches when you go to rebuild or install it. It is best to pay a bit extra and have the block magnafluxed for flaws.
One must be aware that other than the rare surplus engine that has not been subject to 60 years of back yard mechanics, there are few virgin WWII type 270s out there to pick from. That is why I have saved the ones I have as spares, as they are sound and not beat up. As for European returns, the engines that ERGMA has had their paws on may not be all that reliable. I have seen many of them, and have had complaints from others who installed them that they have problems. ERGMA has a history of their rebuilds crammed full of used parts that any good rebuilder would discard. The used pistons that do not match each other is one of my observations, the preservation for storage is nil, as many are rusted after 10 years of storage. European 270s sometimes have local made pistons that have a fourth ring at the bottom of the piston skirt, and try finding a set of rings for that set up over in the USofA. Expect to pay from $1200.00-$1800.00 to have one reconditioned by a quality shop. I have stopped rebuilding, but am lucky to have a very good friend who is an automotive machinist who at 80 years is as spry as a 30 year old and and has 60 years at it. He has done thousands of engines of all makes and will still rebuilds them by appointment. At the end of WWII he served in the US Constabulary in Germany(Circle C Cowboys).

I have several inspected and cleaned spare blocks stored away in my CCKW spares along with a ready to use spare engine for the day when my CCKW has a new Motor Sergeant.
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

I'M really in the market for a good clean std or .040 270 block.
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624