AM I OF ANY HELP?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

AM I OF ANY HELP?

Post by RANGER »

Are you learning anything, or is the information just "ho hum"?

RANGER
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
john gott

Am I of any help

Post by john gott »

You certainly are, it is nice to see an old friend has rejoined us. your "factoids" are of much interest as you share decades of experience with us.

BTW, my 41 Chevy is one the road and the wiper motors are humming right along.
SwampBox
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by SwampBox »

I have been looking forward everyday to see what you have posted.
Keep it up.
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

The voice of experience can not be beat! Keep it up.
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

Your info is great. I never knew the center floor panel was textured until you mentioned it and then noticed a photo showing it in the manual. The panel was out of the truck anyhow so I had it rhino lined. It looks great and hides the pitting.

Keep the info flowing and great to have the little info tidbits again. Why did you stop posting on the other forum?

--Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

The info is great!!
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Keep up the good work RANGER! :)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

We used to use non skid in the Navy on weather decks. It came in 5 gallon buckets and applied on a primered and prepared surface. It is still used today and I wish I could track some of this down....

Thanks for the information on these deck plates in the open cab :D
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The response is much appreciated, thank you. The CCKW is an interesting topic and fun to share. Information is presented from the Army point of view, with good straightforward advice from a GI standpoint, in my opinion it is the best way, as the Army was the operator of the largest WWII vehicle fleet, and was responsible for all the TMs and SNLs we work out of. The ARMY bought over 562,000 CCKWs- what better background can one draw from? All of the information provided is from US Army sources, ordnance personnel who maintained the truck and shared their experience with me, factory bulletins, and contact with WWII veterans back in the 40s, 50s,and 60s while their stories were relatively fresh and without embellishment. To hack and modify because the truck will just not run any other way will sometimes just compound a problem as it is not a fix but an expedient. The trucks will run just fine if the broken part is repaired correctly, and worn parts replaced with original replacements. "Turn key" operation is possible and rewarding. Restoring CCKWs is expensive, parts are hard to find, good mechanical ability is necessary if one desires trouble free operation of their CCKW. Hobbies are supposed to be fun, and I have lived this one non stop since the 40s.

I would feel honered if some of the Judges that participate in WWII 2 1/2 Ton 6X6 class at MVPA events would follow these threads.
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
1958 M274
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by 1958 M274 »

I don't even own a CCKW and I find your posts interesting. Maybe one of these days...
Thanks,
Joe
1942 Dodge WC-51 (from Norway)
Other M-Series Vehicles