PTO Identification

Seabrook
Private

PTO Identification

Post by Seabrook »

I've got two PTO's that don't seem to be listed in the ORD ( parts manual I have. I wonder if anyone can ID them for me as to correct application?

A Garwood 7Y 1551 (number cast on side of big case) 1-1/4" output shaft.

Spicer model YRF7S. Serial Number M1301.

Thanks for any help.
David
Seabrook
Private

Post by Seabrook »

Okay, so no replies yet about the PTO question. Here's some additional clues to see if you can help me figure it out.

The Garwood PTO is a large-ish unit and it seems to have one speed forward and one reverse.

The Spicer unit I have now completely taken apart and have welded a broken case cover to it, and am replacing the seals. It seems to have two forward speeds and one reverse.

So, I'm thinking that the Garwood was probably a winch PTO while the Spicer was maybe for telephone boring or something.

What do YOU think? Which of these two should I try to install to make my Hercules dump work? I am assuming that the dump PTOs only needed one speed to raise the thing. What happens if I install a PTO with a reverse gear and engage the dump hydraulic pump in reverse? Hmmmmm....

Dave
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Not enough information, you are using generic casting numbers, and many PTOs used have same housings, but are geared specific to the individual truck they installed on. Chevrolet winch PTO has two speeds forward, 1 reverse. PTO for Dump will have a 5/8" OD shaft to the rear for the dump.
It would beneficial to you to purchase the ORD 9 for your truck, it will list part numbers and show drawings of the correct PTO. It is involved reading, and confusing, but worked well for the WWII personnel trained to use it. You may not be able to find the parts listed for your installation at surplus dealers, as it is 60 years late and most parts men are too young to be able to ID the parts. It is unlikely that surplus dealers have active shelf space for slow moving WWII PTO items, as they are too obsolete to deal with. The lack of response also is an indicator of present knowledge.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Seabrook
Private

Post by Seabrook »

Ranger-
Thanks for the info. I do have the ORD 9 and have come to truly value it however it did not have a listing or a drawing for the PTO's in my possession. Looking closer in my TM9-805 I see that the winch drive PTO would indeed have two forward and one reverse speed. If in addition this would power a hoist there would be with a side cover holding another gear with a rear-facing output shaft. If I read correctly the PTO for a truck with only a hoist would be a smaller affair with only one speed.

The two PTO's I have both have 1-1/4" output shafts facing rearward. I've actually got another PTO that came off a donor truck but its gears are cut on the bias and so don't mesh with the tranny in my truck.

Any guesses as to whether the hoist will work okay if hooked up to the PTO's I have? I believe I currently have the shafts, U-joints and appropriate-sized yokes to make the connection.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It will most likely turn too slow and you will be able to celebrate a couple of birthdays while the dump is raising. You need a Chev 4X4 PTO that matches your transmission and is set up for the dump truck. Most WWII 4X4, 6X6 PTOs look similar, but have to be specific to the truck they are going on.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945

Post by Guest »

I also have a CCKW PTO unit that I was intending to re-bearing & seal, & use in a CCW to operate a hydraulic jib crane. Maybe it will also be too slow.
It has the 1.25" output & 2-speed forward,1 reverse.
Does anyone know the RPM these units delivered on the output?
It's badged both Mead Morrison & Gar Wood (did one manufacture under contract to the other?)
Serial No. 74Y 6001 LG REV
Thanks.

Ken Blythen, New Zealand

Post by Guest »

ps

Does anyone know the difference between the Garwood models
- 74 Y 6001 LG REV - the unit I have &
- 64 Y 600 LG REV - the unit listed in a CCKW TM manual I have as standard

Both 1.25" output, 2-speed forward, 1 reverse.

I'm hoping the one I have may be higher output speed (gotta be lucky sometimes!) :D
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

They are both similar and operate the same style CCKW winch. They will be slow. The ratios were not a factor in the data of the CCKW manuals as they were intended solely to operate the winch as designed by Gar Wood.
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ken Blythen »

Miscellaneous piece of 2nd hand info, but received from someone who should know -

apparently, along with various winch pto's of the 2x fwd, 1x rev set-up, there also were units configured for 2x fwd, 1x rev and in addition, a further rear-facing, single speed output shaft for other applications such as compressors, hydraulic pumps etc. The same guy thought that on DUKW's these units were set up for the winch to the front and a bilge pump on the extra output shaft.

Maybe someone else knows of this unit and it's uses
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If someone wants to actually purchase a PTO that will fit the CCW CCKW Transmission and have the provisions to drive a hydraulic pump to the rear, I will be glad to provide one in the $300.00-$450.00 price range USD. It involves some chasing around to old contacts if I do not have it.