Tipper trucks

armydriver
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Tipper trucks

Post by armydriver »

Does anyone on this site have any ideas or thoughts on why the dump CCKW trucks are so scarce now? In relation to the cargo trucks they are hard to find today, and yet were made by the thousands during the war.
Retired 06 U.S.Army Fixed winged and rotary blade pilot. Flew WWII aircraft in CAF for many years after retirement.
1943 CCKW 353
1944 Ben Hur trailer

Post by Guest »

Hi armydriver,

Probably because they wore them out first :(
I have owned my series 3 cckw353 h1 for over 20 years, 18 of them unused inside a shed waiting for restoration :shock:
I was 20 when I bought it, now I am 41.

cheers,

Brent Delaney.
Brent Delaney
Private

Post by Brent Delaney »

Opps forgot to log in :oops:

Brent D.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Brent
I pretty much had the same theory. Army trucks that could be used in the civilian world without much modification until they were just all used up and scrapped. Thanks again
armydriver
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by armydriver »

I logged in and come up as a guest anyway. :D
Retired 06 U.S.Army Fixed winged and rotary blade pilot. Flew WWII aircraft in CAF for many years after retirement.
1943 CCKW 353
1944 Ben Hur trailer

Post by Guest »

I need a tail gate latch for the CCKW tipper if anyone knows of one. Thanks.
armydriver
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by armydriver »

I must be doing something wrong. Logged in and still registered as a guest. Still need the latch though :D
1943 CCKW 353
1944 Ben Hur trailer
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

3 Tippers for Sale right now....

Post by Minnhawk »

Kevin Kronlund at ArmyCarsUSA has three "Dutch Return" Tippers for sale right now on his website. I've seen his CCKWs, and they are in good shape.

http://www.armycarsusa.com/Vehicles.htm
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There were really not all that many made, when compared to the 550,000 other CCKWs, and all were assigned to engineer units. Many of these were shipped overseas in the 50s as military assistance. The abundence of them in Europe is evidence that they are not scarce. They were not really intended for heavy use as a dump truck and had a divider panel installed to limit the load. They were used to carry inflatable pontoons and to dump them at crossing sites. There were heavier dump trucks such as the 4 Ton Diamond T 6X6 issued, and commercial Dump Trucks made by the many Truck manufacturers were also used. The Commercial Dump Trucks ordered bu Uncle Sam were equipped with the Standard Military B.O. Lighting systems durring WWII.
This can be researched in the 1943, 1947, and 1953 editions of TM9-2800 which depicts many of these vehicles. Crismons' book is another great source.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it