CCKW Ignition coil

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Ignition coil

Post by RANGER »

The original factory AC DELCO Ignition Coil is not all that common on todays' CCKW(that's the one with the white porcelin end). Should your truck still have one (lucky you), the correct way to mount it is for the porcelin end with the Secondary Lead Terminal(big wire) to be at the bottom. The Coil has Oil in it and it must be installed correctly in order for it to cool properly.
I buy every original NOS CCKW Coil that I can find. I just love rare spares!
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Does anyone still have the original coil on their CCKW?
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ken Blythen »

My brother has a '43 CCKW with the original coil still fitted, & original plug leads until last year! He fires it up once a year to pick up his hay! After WW2 it was bought up (left here by US Army) by a logging contractor, then later by an earthmoving contractor for carrying a D4 Caterpillar. This contractor retired & my brother now has the truck.

My CCW came from the same contractor; via my father who drove for him in the 50's, & had been used towing a low-loader & his D6 Cat. - Rough life for a 5 ton truck! It's now largely back into original condition - still got some panel work to finish. I'll finish the restoration & fit it with a hydraulic gib crane for use in my engineering business - It's got to be a working truck as far as I'm concerned!

Just some info for interest :D
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

Would this be the coil your talking about? it is marked Delco Remy

Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Yes. Yes.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One thing I did failed to mention is although the Coil appears similar to that on a CCKW, it is not. The terminals are different, this one is for a 41-45 Chevrolet Sedan as used by the Army. It will fit once one figures out the lead wire configuration.
I noticed it was on eBay, it went, for $30.00, not bad for a used one that might not work. They burn out fast when installed upside down as they are cooled by oil that is sealed inside.