CCKWS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKWS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

Post by RANGER »

One has to realize that soldiers in WWII were for the most part "Lean Mean Fighting Machines", many collectors are not. If one is just pudgy, he may fit, but if one has a beer gut and is in excess of 200 pounds the fit is not good. Closed Cab is easier to enter and exit, Open Cab is not. The Steering Wheel does not leave much room for large drivers. There is a tell tale look to CCKW Drivers with a beer belly, it is the horizontal smudge that the steering wheel prints on one's shirt. Potbellies and CCKWs do not mix. I am 5'8", barrell chested, and still reasonably trim enough to fit comfortably in my Open Cab. If I were any larger, I would not be comfortable. In WWII the drivers were all "lean mean fighting machines" at their peak in physical condition due to the proper diet and excercise that Uncle Sam carefully programmed for the GI. Not all collectors are built to WWII Army standard.
Do not feel bad if your CCKW is too small for you, there is no way a 300 pounder can fit behind the Open Cab wheel and safely operate a CCKW, (unless the seat cushions are removed) not all soldiers drove, some marched, and some rode in back (had a chauffer).
I have some very dear WWII/Korean War era vets that I love to have accompany me in parades, plus I have always wanted a Closed Cab, I figured it is about time for us to have a Closed Cab in order to be able to ride in comfort.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKWS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

Post by RANGER »

Tis CCKW season. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Diet is still a consideration for Closed Cab CCKW and G-506 owners, WWII soldiers ate from a strict Master Menu that was the same for Army mess halls worldwide, they got plenty of excercise and did not have the same issues as far as fitting the cab of the CCKW and Chevy as collectors. It is never too late to diet in order to look good behind the CCKW or G-506 steering wheel. :wink:

I wish I could have the same dimensions I had back when I gave Army PT, that was 25# and 6" smaller waist ago. I still have my old FM21-200 and will throw it in the CCKW glovebox.
Thundercat97
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Thundercat97 »

Hahaha but very true. My brother picked up my open cab CCKW and complained to me once he got it home. He said, "look at this" and showed me a nice wear mark on his beer belly. We both had a good laugh. He has never driven it since but still drinks beer :wink:
41 WLA Project Bike
42 CCKW 353
42 57mm Anti-Tank Gun
43 WC51
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer