Last active US military CCKWs

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Last active US military CCKWs

Post by RANGER »

The last CCKWs in US Military use that I saw were during the time period of 1959-1961. One was used as a Training Aid at Ft Dix NJ, one was a K-53 type Communications Van used by the MARS Site at Dow AFB in 1961, a CCW Garbage Packer at Ft Devens and Camp Wellfleet in 1960, and a Closed Cab CCKW Air Compressor Truck in service with the Maine National Guard in 1959. Many US Army classrooms also utilized portions of stripped CCKW trucks as training aids thru the 60s. I also received training on the DUKW in 1960, but the classroom example was deadlined at Post Ordnance as a previous class had sunk it.
There were likely a few hundred in use at that time here in the USA, and many intact CCKWs were still being surplussed.
The Ordnance Depots were still stocking and reconditioning CCKW components during the 60s for Military Aid to NATO Nations.
The NOS CCKW carburetor inventory that I purchased from Memphis Equipment was dated 1989. I bought 19 in all back in 1999, they were the Die Cast Zenith 28AV with adaptors included so as to use either early or late air cleaners.

NOTE:
(The AIR NATIONAL GUARD still had the 4 Ton Diamond T 6X6 in use as late as 1960-1961)
Last edited by RANGER on Thu May 31, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

In 1962 the Army MAAG group in Saigon had at least one CCKW as well as a CCKW based bus (both painted gloss black) that they used, in mid '62 MAAG became MACV. Left in early '62 so I don't know how much longer they were in use.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The most recent heyday for CCKW NOS surplus parts at DRMO was during the 60s thru mid 70s. Chances are slim that any US depot has G-508 specific items in stock this late in time. Two late procurements that I have witnessed that were manufactuted for the CCKW were Small Neck CCKW LWB fuel Tanks in 66, and the Die Cast Carburetors in 1989. They were both surplussed to Memphis Equipment and I bought the complete inventory of these two items. The Small neck Tanks without the necks must have been an error as the Large Neck would have been more suitable. There were about 140 Crated tanks. They have since changed hands again.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Dow Air Force Base had a G-506 Chevrolet 4X4 Cargo truck that was active as late as March 1961, It was O.D. in color and assigned to the MARS Site. We supplied parts to the USAF at Dow for this truck. The local Purchasing agent, Clark Lawton, was a long time friend. His son Gary was the Personnel Manager at Disneyworld, and was the third person hired.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Maine National Guard 314th AA Battalion turned over their CCKWs in March 1952 for direct shipment to Europe. CCKWs, WWII Jeep Trailers and other misc equipment were taken to the Maine Central freight yard in Bangor, and loaded onto Gondola Cars. There was a need for these overseas in Europe. They were scheduled to get M-135 trucks in early 1953. All markings were removed, and USA Registrations were repainted using 2" brass Stencils. They were issued the WC-62 and WC-63 1 1/2 Ton 6X6 as a temporary replacement. Many of their CCKWs had been used to mount Quad 50s. These were mounted on the M-135s from 1953-1956, when the 314th was scheduled to receive the radar controlled 75MM Sky Sweeper AA Gun. They only had the Sky Sweepers for a short time and were issued M-42 Dusters from 1958-1961. The M-42 was on the M-41 Bulldog Chassis and was equipped with the Twin 40MM AA Guns. They were exciting to fire. The 314th AAA battalion was issued an M-74 Tank Recovery Vehicle (mounted on an M-4E8 Sherman Chassis). The MB Jeep was in use with the Maine National Guard as late as 1953 The Navy reserve in Bangor operated an MB with an arctic Cab as late as 1961.
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Week Six of The Wheeled Vehicle Mechanics School at Ft Dix featured a non running CCKW Open Cab chassis that was in an inclined pit. It was used to demonstrate wrecker operation. The year was 1960.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Joe Gaudreau was the operator of the K-53 CCKW at Dow AFB in 1956. I see him at my favorite restaurant every day. He is a Master Electrician, and is active in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and Pine State Radio Club. He shipped overseas from Dow and was issued an M-Series REO 6X6 with van body.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Last active US military CCKWs

Post by RANGER »

The trucks turned in were a mixture Closed Cab and Open Cab trucks ranging from CCKWX thru later trucks. I have one 8X10 Glossy of the CCKWs along with MBT trailers being loaded at the Maine Central Freight Yard in Bangor.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

CCKW parts thru DRMO faded to a trickle by 1980.
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hello Ranger,
When do think the National Guard started getting rid of WWII vehicles? Did the Guard have 1/2 ton WC's in their inventory? My WC-12 shows as being 1'st registered with the Calif. DMV in 1947. I guess that is when it was surplused out for sale to the public. When I bought it in 1987, I found a deer hunting tag in the glovebox dated 1952. It belonged to a gentleman by the name of George Garcia out of Hollister CA. Still have the tag in my truck folder. Should look up the name in the Hollister phone book. Might find the folks or their relatives who owned the truck at that time. Kind of neat don't you think?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Not sure of Guard 1/2 Ton WCs, we used to see them surplus thru the early 50s at Ft Devens and Boston Army base.