CCKW Bellhousing leaks

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Bellhousing leaks

Post by RANGER »

Some bellhousing leaks are preventable. Many times it is simply from those two lower Transmission to Bellhousing Bolts that are threaded into the Transmission Case.
Whenever the transmission is replaced it is necessary to coat the threads of those two lower bolts(the ones with the one edge ground at a 45 degree angle) with good 'ol Permatex #2 or Permatex #3 Gasket cement, do not use any of those RTV silicones as it will eventually allow the threads to leak.Permatex #2 and #3 has worked for 60 + years and is still the best. The transmission must be drained and the threads cleaned with a swab of gasoline or other suitable solvent. The two upper bolts are threaded into the Bellhousing and do not require sealer. Don't forget the lockwashers, and to safety wire the bottom two bolts.
You have learned two things here, to use sealer, and that the reason for the two special bolts with one edge beveled, is to clear the Pressure Plate when installing them.

I should have mentioned this months ago when I first started posting, but the thought never occured.

Another fair and simple tip from good 'ol RANGER, I'll post, you decide.:wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it