CCKW Myopia

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW Myopia

Post by RANGER »

There was a recent comment on the topic of "MODIFIED CCKW" that contained the following two remarks.

1. No one would use a 60 year old NOS fanbelt, radiator hose, brake hose or tires.

2. Does anyone in here use straight 30w non-detergent motor oil?

My reply.

1. My CCKW has a GMC Oval Logo 2190551 Fan Belt purchased from the local GM dealer in 1983, and have 25 happy customers with NOS 1956 dated H017-0507280 Goodyear GI Issue CCKW replacement belts. There is a spare in my parts box under the seat. the belts are still nice and supple and do not split in two when folded.
Agreed Radiator hose is critical, Gates preformed upper and Green Stripe straight lower hoses are a must.
My brake hoses are original OEM Part number Wagners from the jobber warehouse, they are the same Wagner Part number listed in the WWII SNL.

Tires are a combination of 1970s -80s US Army Surplus Uniroyal and United brand NDTs, when and if these wear out, they will be replaced by STA brand NDT for safety. The two NOS WWII NDT tires I have will be used as display only on the spare tire rack.

2. Motor Oil in my NOS WWII 270 engine is #30 HD as was used in WWII. It is actually ROTELLA #30HD The US Army had and used OE 30 HD motor Oil in WWII. It is referenced in the WWII editions of Army Motors that the oils used in the wheeled and tracked vehiclesaa are Detergent. You had to have known about WWII detergent OE30 after twenty five years as a CCKW owner and collector. I bet you just forgot.

Using currently manufactured Hoses and belts that are direct interchanges with OEM part numbers is not a modification, as they are "bolt on" direct replacements of the exact configuration. No need to worry about the old belt as most cautious owners carry a spare.

For safetys sake, fresh tires are a must, WWII tires should be used for display only.

To the CCKW collector claiming fresh hoses, belts and tires that are exact duplicates of the originals being modifications. .................... Aw c'mon, now, you are fretting over nothing.

See you in Weare!
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it