Friend got a Studebaker

All other trucks not mentioned above.
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: Friend got a Studebaker

Post by motto »

Yes Ken that's the arrangement I was referring to. You have the link installed in the mid position which is probably where most engines would operate ok. As you can see, by installing the link in the hole furtherest from the throttle shaft you lengthen the pump stroke and so increase the amount of fuel delivered for each throttle opening. This would equate to Winter position but you may have some slight deficiency in the carb that doing this will overcome.

Usually this engine/carburetor combination works quite well and you're pretty close to having it right by the sounds of it.

David
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1942 US6 Studebaker Phantom
1945 US6 Studebaker Spirits

Post by lowrdrbird »

After looking at what we did I think you might be correct that the engine was not warmed up completely. She had only been running for maybe 1 minute while we tried it.

Ken
1942 Studebaker US6 Phantom
1945 Studebaker US6 Spirit
1942 1 ton Trailer
Keeping the History Alive
Teaching the public what our veterans did during WW2
If you can read this, Thank a teacher
If you are reading this in English, Thank a Vet
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well here are the photos that have been asked for we now have all new rubber on the ground and all the way around

And for the guys that couldnt get enough of our new seat cushions here is a better shot

Here is another video of my buddy driving it around and having some fun
http://youtu.be/gPsbL2RWxCo

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
JimT
Private
My garage: WC-27 ambulance

Post by JimT »

Ken,
You guys are doing a fantastic job on the Studebaker. Looks like you will have it finished by Thunder Over Michigan next year at the rate your going. Looking forward to set up the aid station and ambulance by your unit.
Regards,
Jim
jima
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by jima »

off topic but do you have any pictures of the ambulance and the aid station you could post?
1944 WC52 81691995 body tag- 111562-built 2/23/44- eng t214-165920
South Florida, USA
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well not much to talk about here so here are the pics

The seats are in yeah I know they are black canvas but for only 120 and new foam all the labor I cant complain and they will also make me seat covers to go over them.

Picked up the hood, bumperettes, and new upper engine skirts from the blasters and had them painted and then installed them today.
As some might not know we picked up a second Studebaker bummer is that she has a cracked frame but lots of good parts that we can use.

Here are the pics of the new 1945 Stude

Now the tear down we made quick work of her

Straight hood before blasting and paint
After blasting and paint
1942 1 ton Trailer
JimT
Private
My garage: WC-27 ambulance

Post by JimT »

Jima,
Off topic. My wife has the camera and card from the Thunder over Michigan event and will back from out of town Saturday. I'll look to see if we have any pictures of the aid station and ambulance. I've been busy all winter making MD#1 and #2 boxes, lantern crates finding a coca unit and other equipments for the aid station. Hopefully we can figure out how to post pictures. Thanks.
Regards,
Jim
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well today was fun she really got to stretch out her legs today made a trip of about 16 miles and then returned. We had no problems and she ran great both ways. This was the first time to an event still need to get more done but had many people like the truck here are some pics

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
Recon4ww2
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Recon4ww2 »

I was there and she was standing tall!
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

She's really coming together now Ken. The end is in sight. Nice work!

David
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

Hi Ken

I hope that you read this. I am not registered member on the G503 forum but just had a look there and see that you are having trouble with the fuel quantity system.

One thing that nobody mentioned is that THE INDICATOR CASE MUST BE EARTHED FOR THE SYSTEM TO FUNCTION. This also applies of course to the sender unit but that's obvious because there is only one terminal. The indicator has two but THE CASE MUST BE EARTHED otherwise you will get exactly the result you describe . The needle is either at one end or the other.

The normal earthing of the case is through the spring in the middle of the saddle clip. That's what it's there for. The ends of the clip are supposed to complete the circuit to the dash panel which in turn is in contact with the cab which is earthed to the frame. LACK OF THIS EARTHING IS THE MOST COMMON CAUSE OF SYSTEM MALFUNCTION.

I now carefully solder a terminal to the instrument case before installation. Just a little strip of brass bent at right angles the right width to take one of those push on clips will do. I then run a wire from it to a known earth point. Most system will work perfectly well if this earth circuit is made certain.

David
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

David
Good to hear from you again
I will try this tomorrow since I will be out there again.
Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
danlen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by danlen »

Woa! Snow in the cylinders! Very cool, never have seen that before!
The shape of that truck has all the early Stude contours, and a frame like a freight car.
Great work cleaning up that engine-. Looked like a low miles truck--pistons not scuffed.
You've done great work. I hope to see more photos.
Regards, Dan.
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well gang here are some more updates from my buddy who is working on the bed so I will let him tell you in his words

"Well, it has been a very productive day working on the bed... I finally have all the pieces back and are now ready to put the toolbox section back together... the 2 side panels are nailed back in place using a little longer nails... there are 3 per panel to start with... next was the back piece that the toolbox door latches too... then, I put the front back panel in... after taking measurements, I cut the first toolbox floor out of 3/4 plywood... the first one was too small so I cut a second one that was perfect... the measurement was 26 3/4 X 28 1/4 X 3/4... I then used 12: 1 1/4 X 1/4 carriage bolts to fasten the floor back in... the final piece's to put in are the 2 small piece's of wood that the door closes onto on... at first I put these on put, wasn't able to put the floor in, so I had to take them back off... now it will be time to put the beams back on :) "

"Well, it has been a very productive month... I brought the new beams home on the 1st of January and laid them out in order... I test fitted some of the beams to make sure the holes lined up then I brought all the beams in my living room to keep them warm so they can be painted.. I decided to start at the toolbox and work to the cab... The first 3 beams were hand painted and kept at room temp for about 3 days before I brought them out to the garage to be bolted back on the main beams... I picked up a whole bunch of new carriage bolts, split washers, and square nuts to put it all back together... after the beams I finished were installed, I got the remaining last beam to figure out were the tail light brackets were mounted... once that was done, I put the brackets up and traced the out line of the bracket and the holes to get ready for drilling... once done, I tested the fit and installed the screws the attach from the bottom in... Now they are attached... enjoy :)"

Will post more later
Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer
lowrdrbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by lowrdrbird »

Well I had some fun tonight found out a few issues
Here are the pics

Found out that she cant make it thru 2 foot deep snow.....

Yeah wish I had a pioneer kit to dig her out ......

So I went with the next best thing

My 13 year old Daughter with my F350 pulled me out
Guess I need to get the bed on her to weight the rear down. For my daughters first time driving my truck she did very well... Pulled me out like she knew what she was doing. I am so proud of her now I just need to have her try to drive Phantom....

Here is a night shot of Phantom in the snow

Ken
1942 1 ton Trailer