Navy Jeep?

All other trucks not mentioned above.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Navy Jeep?

Post by Brent »

My wife gently uncovered some interesting lettering on our newly acquired 1945 Willys MB. On the winshield frame it appears to read US ATLANTIC FLEET and below the letters COMORLANT. The middle has a M and one or two illegible letters as well. The lettering is yellow on OD and expertly stenciled. However, as you can see the lettering was repainted, again in yellow, but this time more poorly scripted. No way to know if this lettering appllies to WWII service, but another clue as to this little Jeep's history. Only my patient wife would discovered this!

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The LANT is a NATO designation for atlantic such as CINCLANT Commander in Chief Atlantic. What the COMR is at a guess is Commodore Reserve Atlantic. Being NATO definitley post 1945. At this time in the morning start date for NATO escapes me.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks

Post by Brent »

It was suggested that the the abbreviation may be Commander Operations Room Atlantic. We will be trying to uncover some more clues. NATO was formed in 49 I think. This would explain the hood registration # being original Army (I suspect) and the Jeep being assigned to Navy Post War. This little thing has been around apparently! Also, we think some of the OD appears to be an odd shade, but hard to tell. Thanks for the reply, Tony. I will keep you posted!

1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Nato was formed 4th April 1949 :idea:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

having hunted about, me SAS (Sick & Sad) found COMNORLANT- NATO gobbledy gook for Commander, Northern Sub Area Atlantic. Wouldn't be easier to say 'im up north? :P
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Really neat!

Post by Brent »

She could have some really interesting history. My wife had noticed even under the Naval script there appears to be white lettering that is much larger. Appears to be stenciled. We will uncover layer by layer and hopefully, weather permitting, will have some additional clues. Thanks again for your input!

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

You already have more history than many with Navy vehicles have been able to dig up. Navy jeeps were either tranferred from the Army, like yours must have been with an old Army number on it. Others were ordered for the Navy by the Army and there is some discussion on if they were given Army numbers first or not, however I know in the case of some Navy Dodges ordered this way they did not get Army numbers before Navy ones. Then other Navy jeeps were under direct Navy supply system orders and if I remember right some were '45 MB's. Navy registration (hood) numbers are completely different than Army ones and some did not even have a number but just US NAVY on the hood. Some Navy jeeps had small Navy property tags on the dash or body that no one has been able to decode as of yet.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks

Post by Brent »

Hey Mike,

We are very excited and continue to uncover more details. I plan on attacking the hood to see if there is any evidence of Naval markings. Its funny, when I considered buying this jeep I told my wife that I think we should make it a Navy jeep. Without knowing any of the Navy details we uncovered, I "felt" it should be Navy!

We have found at least 6 layers of paint including 3 shades of green (two olive drab variants and one forrest) It remains unclear what era the Naval script uncovered so far refers to, but there is clearly another layer of large white script that we are uncovering. So far a large "M" in center.

I appreciate the comments and help received and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Dave K.

Post by Dave K. »

Nice find Brent--keep digging and good luck. Dave.
Phil 2 UK

US NAVY markings

Post by Phil 2 UK »

Nice one Brent. I am doing my WC51 in US Navy Fleet Grey as there are far too many 'green uns' about. I was not too sure what to put on the hood but Mike W saying that some didn't have a number just US Navy has saved the day. The style can also vairy from what I have found. I am using stencil which is on 'Windows XP'
At least if some smart ass comes along and says it should have a hood number I can say 'Some did and some didn't.' Congratulations on finding a wife who doesn't mind rubbing paint down. Mine stops at washing the
10 tonner down!
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Phil - The hood number is easy, in fact I think at one time I worked out the block of numbers for some of the Dodges ordered for the Navy so if yours was one of those. In any case give me the DOD of your truck and I can come up with a guestimate number for you if you want one. The style does vary and can be done in black, white, or yellow. If you need a picture of Navy vehicles in WW2 marked US Navy and no visible hood numbers to 'prove' your point to the 'experts' I can provide that as well as proof that the Navy did use stars on some vehicles, at least ones attached to Navy aviation groups. Navy registration numbers were very haphazard in how they were issued it seems (since I have no documentation proving how it was done) and although there were blocks of numbers assigned to certain Navy vehicle orders the rest are all over the board, unit markings is another area where they did as the 'old man' directed or allowed.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.