1962 Willys M170
1967 M-416 Trailer
1968 Johnson M101A1 3/4 ton Trailer
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by halifaxgroup »

Dave:

You trying to corner the market in WWII USMC vehicles?

See you in Dayton? Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer

Post by Guest »

The Navy used a lot of IHC trucks, as did the Coast Guard since they were under Navy contral as well. One M-2-4 I tried to buy was Navy gray under all the other colors.
dball
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Navy trucks

Post by dball »

Every piece of equipment the Marines use is purchased and owned on a dotted line by the Navy.
The Marines are a Department of the Navy as are the Coast Guard and SeaBee's.
The SeaBee's used IHC trucks and tractors.
The civilian coast watchers and civil defense forces used M-3-4 and M-5-6 trucks to tow boffors and listening equipment up and down the California, Oregon and Washington coastlines.
The Army used both IHC trucks and tractors on the ALCAN highway in Alaska.
IHC equipment was used by every branch of service and many of the allies durring and long after the war.
After the war there were many parts left over and International built M-5H-6 closed cabs for civilian companies and municipalities until the parts dried up. They also sold parts to firetruck builders like FABCO and BEAN who built many 6x6 and 4x4 trucks.
Internationals were with out a doubt used after the war for many years.
My 6x6 above was used as a house mover it has a 3speed spicer (brownie) double under single over box added.
Its specs are: 361 overhead valve 6 cyl engine, 5 Speed fuller gear box, 2 speed Eaton transfer case, Spicer 3 speed brownie, Huge cast Eaton Axles, Hendrickson walking beam suspension and Thornton lockers in all 3 axles. I would put it up against any CCKW in the mud, sand, rough terrain or pulling.
:)
Dave Ball
MVCC 26+ years
MVPA # 9377
1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car
1942 Dodge WC-55 M6 Gun Motor Carriage
1943 Henry Spen Cargo Trailer
1944 IHC M-5H-6 6x6 Cargo
1962 Willys M170
1967 M-416 Trailer
dball
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

IHC

Post by dball »

Hi Paul I will not be in Dayton I have too many irons in the fire.
I wanted to go badly but it just is not possible at this time.
I have been so busy with family and hobby and work that at times it all seems a blur.
I am not trying to buy all the USMC vehicles but when I come accross one I can't walk away.
Wish I could buy all the MV's I find. Latley I am finding 3 or 4 a month.
Last month in Oregon I found a storage yard full of WW2 Half ton Dodge trucks I am talking lots of good parts along with maybe 6 or 7 restorable vehicles including A command car and several others that just do not deserve to have the trees growing up into there under pinnings.
I have more than enough Dodge equipment and my taste has turned towards bigger and stronger purpose built trucks.
Why own a poodle when you can have a pit bull? They eat the same, cost the same but when time comes to work only one will chew its way to the top. Thats why the leathernecks loved them so much.
8)
Dave Ball
MVCC 26+ years
MVPA # 9377
1942 Dodge WC-56 Command Car
1942 Dodge WC-55 M6 Gun Motor Carriage
1943 Henry Spen Cargo Trailer
1944 IHC M-5H-6 6x6 Cargo
1962 Willys M170
1967 M-416 Trailer
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Strange, I was logged in but was titled as 'guest'.

Dave - I know the Marines are part of the Navy Dept. (much to their dismay at times) :lol: and that the Coasties were under Navy control during WW2, however the Seabees are regular Navy. My post was directed more at the 'Marine truck" comment for informational purposes. The IHC truck I was interested in was modified with the original bed functional as a dump bed and duals on the rear and I often wondered if it had been a Seabee truck. The Seabees also used Marmon-Harrington Ford trucks and I have seen pictures of Navy air bases with IHC trucks in both tanker and cargo variations.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Kiwikev

USMC Vehicle MArking

Post by Kiwikev »

I have two GMC ACK352 trucks both ex USMC and I am interested in what markings and colouring you find on your Marine Corps trucks. Appart from the GMC Data Plate I can find no Markings on either of my trucks that I have (although I have one set of doors yet to check) both appear to have been a dark glossy Green in colour.

Also do you know of anyone or anywhere that I might contact that would know about WWII Marine Corps Vehicles?

Regards
Kev
Auckland
New Zealand
Dave K.

Post by Dave K. »

When I stripped down my '41 M-1-4 to restore it I also found a dark glossy green under the welting of the front fenders. We went with this color and when I showed it at the show in 2000 I caught some flak for it. Having matched it several times I'm 100% sure it's the correct color--at least for my truck . . . and it looks great cleaned up.

If you can determine that you have the correct color then I would recommend the gloss highly--the trucks look great with this. If someone can tell me how to post pics here I will be glad to try and bring up an excellent photo the late Andy LaBorde snapped of my M-1-4 in the snow . . . better yet I can forward it to someone who knows how to post pics!
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

I know that Navy/Marine jeeps that were part of a Navy Dept order were painted a darker color called Forest Green, is this the same as on your M-1-4?
Mike W.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Dave K.

Post by Dave K. »

I believe it is--I would be interested to see if I could find a spec on it that would confirm the gloss. I know what was matched but it would still be nice to see other vehicles painted up this color. If anyone has anything let me know.

Thanks, Dave.
Dave Ball

gillepsie 34052

Post by Dave Ball »

I have seen a lot of 42-45 IHC equipment like my 1 1/2 ton M-3L-4 Wrecker with the lusterless 34052 paint as the base coat.
Maybe because there was so much parade and road march activity before we joined the war the early trucks were a little more glossy for show.
On my wrecker when I took the glove box out the top was 34052 lusterless under the dust. Thats what I will paint it.
As a side note my USMC 1962 M37B1 is also painted with the same lusterless and everyone tells me it should be glossy. I will paint it lusterless as well. Also my Wreckers frame when blasted was lusterless black with caterpiller yellow over that so I have my choice cat black or flat black. I am going to paint it zero rust black it will not stick out so much and attract to many experts with lots of opinions but no trucks. :lol:

Dave
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

pics

Post by 68427vette »

love to see pics as i have a federal and IH COE 4-5 tons the Ih is a 4x2 coe semi and the federal is a 4x4 semi monster!! ,, jeff
Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Re: gillepsie 34052

Post by Mike W. »

Dave Ball wrote:Maybe because there was so much parade and road march activity before we joined the war the early trucks were a little more glossy for show. Dave
I remember seeing pictures of Marine IH trucks lined up for I guess inspection and the paint seemed to be very glossy.
Mike W.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Fleetmaster
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1940 Dodge VC-3
1940 Dodge VF404
1941 Dodge WD-21 Panel Medical Services
1941 Autocar U5044T
1941 Chevrolet Pickup 4x2 US Navy Recruitment Services
1942 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Staff Car