International Harvester Commmand Car?

All other trucks not mentioned above.
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

International Harvester Commmand Car?

Post by David DeWeese »

Last summer while delivering some Dodge parts in New Mexico, I stopped and talked to a man outside of Albuquerque who own an automobile museum,(DaninNM, I know you know who I'm talking about). While we were conversing about old military trucks, he told me he had a "WW2 IH Command Car" stored at one of his facilities. Did IH ever make a Command Car? Information I have found on WW2 IH stuff is fairly scarce, mostly relating to M-1-4 and M-2-4, with no mention of any other models. Did such an animal exist, or is this old dude on crack? :shock:
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Well,

Post by Gordon_M »

Never seen one.

Since IH made a lot of stuff for Navy and Marines I'd guess that there might be Command / Radio variants of the smaller M-1 and M2 trucks. Maybe the same truck bed but fitted for radio - that sort of thing.
G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

IH also made a lot of trucks for the Coasties, usually to Navy specs as they were under Navy control during the war. I have a picture of an IH CC of about WW1 vintage but haven't found a WW2 version although I have seen one or two IH trucks that were not mentioned in the normal books like Crismons. IH continued to make unique trucks for the Navy up through the 60's so no telling what the guy has.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

David:

There was a movie on the other day. It stared the Duke and was about PT Boats. Towards the end, the Duke and his skipper were given orders to leave the Pacific and head back to DC to train new PT boat crews. The commander giving the orders was in a CC, which at 1st glance I thought was a 1/2 Dodge. The movie replayed several times this weekend, and that's when I noticed the CC wasn't a Dodge after all, but a IH. Ya know it's kinda funny, but these days when I see an old WW II movie, I check the vehicles and equipment out more than anything else. Like in the movie "In Harm's Way", there were scenes where they used M151's instead of the proper Jeeps.

Later
Ugg
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

Ugg - I do the same thing with the old movies, in fact when one comes on I check to see when it was made. The movie 'Figting Seabees' with the Duke also has some good vehicle shots, shows several Fords with Marmon-Herrington 4WD running around. Crismon's book shows a 1935-37 IH Scout car on page 55 that looks like a CC.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Theres a Dutch artillery tractor in German use that looks like a command car in the Axis vehicle post. Could this be the beast?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere