Chevy 1.5 ton cargo VS. IH M-3H-4 comparisions

All other trucks not mentioned above.
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Chevy 1.5 ton cargo VS. IH M-3H-4 comparisions

Post by daveyboy »

Was wondering about a few things regarding both of these trucks.

How does the Chevy 1.5 ton cargo truck compare in weight, height , wheelbase, width, etc ,etc to a comparable sized IH WW2 military truck, say the dual wheeled M-3 cargo truck for instance.

Is the chevy smaller or about the same size?

Weight? I would imagine the IH is heaveir being more stout.

I found out the wheel base front to rear on a IH is 139" vs the 145" of the chevy.

Is the tracking width the same? Total shipping weight?

I think the IH is also talled due to the larger stock tire size, correct?

what about power? Isthe chevy got more top end speed over the IH or no?

Rear end ratios are low on the Chevy, are the IH trucks lower or higher?

anyone out there that owns both trucks that can answer these questions, or have accurate information handy,maybe a TM of the truck for reference, to be able to tell me?

thanks.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

These trucks were engineered for two different requirements, the M3H and M3L were designed to meet Navy specs, and the Chevrolet was done to US Army Quartermaster requirements.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

....and that means?????

Now Ranger, being the wealth of knowledge I beleive you are, and having seen answers to posts that you have replied to in the past, I would think you would have more answers for me than that!

Come on... you got the information! I just know it!

Any details to the actual questions asked?

thanks...
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The IH was unique to the NAVY. The Army had none. The Chevrolet served in both the Army and Navy. I have the M-3 Operators manual, but have no background material on research and development on the IH. I can attest to the superior durability of the IH over the Chevrolet from practical experience, but have little background on the Naval history of the IH family of trucks. There is some evidence of Navy equipment being tested by the Army, but I do not have any in my possession.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it