1941 Chevrolet Military 1/2 Ton Pickup

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

1941 Chevrolet Military 1/2 Ton Pickup

Post by zepher11 »

I thought I would post some photos for those that might be interested in looking at a prewar 1941 Chevrolet military 1/2 ton pickup. A friend of mine just bought 170 cars and is going through them and selling them off. He offered this ’41 Chevy to me, but I think he wants too much. The price may be after the friend discount as well. :?

Anyway, the DOD is 4-15-1941 based on the data plate on the dash. It could be part of the last closed fender trucks delivered. I don’t know too much about these. There is a serial number on the data plate:
I love the crank out windshield:
The instrument cluster is odd as it does not have any lettering or numbering on it. It may be a reproduction and the decals may be there somewhere. There is a nice restored radiator and gas tank in the bed. The bed has also been completed and is pristine condition:
Any idea what the little chrome T handle is that is near the door latch on the interior of the driver's door? There is not one on the passenger door:
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Re: 1941 Chevrolet Military 1/2 Ton Pickup

Post by gyknot »

Thats a nice looking pickup. Got to be rare and I bet very expensive.
My only guess would be the door lock. Most rigs of that period only had an outside lock on the pass (curb) side. Never had a chevy of that period so its just a guess on my part.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

I just stopped by there tonight. He was working on a decent '62 Cadillac Coupe De Ville. :thumbup:

He's asking $9,500 for the '41 Chevy. A little too expensive for me. I think I will stick to the war era vehicles. I bet he could be talked into selling it for $8,500. I looked around and I really couldn't find any good comparisons of like vehicles to get an accurate value determination. I think it is really rare, and I'm worried that some hot rodder will get a hold of it and work it over in a bad way. :x He's a purest, so hopefully that won't happen.

He told me he just bought a pristine 1960 Dodge Polara. If you have no idea what that is, google it. It is one awesome and rare car. One doesn't see those running around too often.
Zeph

Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

zepher11 wrote: I think I will stick to the war era vehicles.
Depending on who you're talking to, some people's war started a little earlier than 1941. Like urm...September 3rd 1939. :) :)

Just kidding Zeph!!... (Think of it as just a wink and a nod to Phil P).

I'm glad you're posting here Zeph and I love the Photos.

Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Vista52 wrote:
zepher11 wrote: I think I will stick to the war era vehicles.
Depending on who you're talking to, some people's war start a little earlier than 1941. Like urm...September 3rd 1939. :) :)

Just kidding Zeph!!... (Think of it as just a wink and a nod to Phil P).

I'm glad you're posting here Zeph and I love the Photos.

No problem, Vista. I can take a joke...sometimes. :wink: When I wrote the above I was thinking I should clarify what war and when. I am primarily into US WWII era items. I have a nice little museum in my home...that my wife allows me to have, that I display primarily WWII Army Air Corp items. I have a little airborne, as I had a relation in the 101st Airborne, of which I am the caretaker of his war era items...that's WWII by the way. :lol: I also have a relation that was a B-17 pilot that lives near me who was shot down over France in September 1944. He will be 91 in January. I am dedicating my '42 G*W project to him. It will be in 91st Bomb Group markings. I think that was in England. :? :D Now, I'm just rambling.... :oops:

I have been enjoying some of the banter here. Even the threads that get deleted on occasions. One needs to check here early and often, or some threads will have come and gone with no one's knowledge. Sorta like: if a thread occurs, and it is deleted so that no one reads it, did it really happen. :?:
Zeph

Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Yes, I know what you mean about the threads. But it's all for the best and it helps to have a sense of humor. We are all friends.

I've collected A2's for nearly 40 years. I've also a couple of nice G1's. The 91st BG was out of Bassingbourne. When I moved to the house I'm in now, 20 years ago, I met my neighbor who was a Lead Bombardier in the 493rd BG out of Debach. We got off to a bit of a shaky start because he was the type who wanted to forget the memories. He started the conversation, but he didn't realize he was talking with a 8th AF-o-phile.

A week later he saw me and came over and gave me his Wings which I thought was a very nice gesture and a sort of Olive Branch. He died about 10 years ago.
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Actually that's a rare truck and in very decent order with a lot of work done, and looks to have been done right. $9500 would not be at all out of place for that.

Thank goodness it's a third of the way round the planet and not a Dodge.....
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Vista52 wrote:Yes, I know what you mean about the threads. But it's all for the best and it helps to have a sense of humor. We are all friends.

I've collected A2's for nearly 40 years. I've also a couple of nice G1's. The 91st BG was out of Bassingbourne. When I moved to the house I'm in now, 20 years ago, I met my neighbor who was a Lead Bombardier in the 493rd BG out of Debach. We got off to a bit of a shaky start because he was the type who wanted to forget the memories. He started the conversation, but he didn't realize he was talking with a 8th AF-o-phile.

A week later he saw me and came over and gave me his Wings which I thought was a very nice gesture and a sort of Olive Branch. He died about 10 years ago.
That is a great story, Vista. From a young age I have been enamored by the feats accomplished by the Army Air Forces during WWII...especailly he 8th. I just can’t even imagine what that would have been like to experience what the personnel went through. I started collecting a few years ago when I realized that a lot of the WWII artifacts of our local vet were just being tossed. The families just don’t care or give a rat’s a&$ about their ancestors artifacts. :( That’s where I come in. I have a number of local WWII vet uniforms and will happily be the caretaker of these. I've been building all my own displays. I build my picture frames and have been cutting my own mats as well as cutting the glass now. Instead of $300 for a matted frame, I can do it for about $25. I’d post some pictures here of my war room, but I don’t know it if is allowed. Of course, it doesn’t look like too many members poke their heads into this section.

I have been assembling a full early bomber crewman outfit and just found a B-3 jacket. I have been looking for one for a while now, so I am happy to have it. I have seen some nice A-2;s here and there, but man, they are getting really pricey. One of these days, I will score one. I wish I would have started years ago.
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Gordon_M wrote:Actually that's a rare truck and in very decent order with a lot of work done, and looks to have been done right. $9500 would not be at all out of place for that.

Thank goodness it's a third of the way round the planet and not a Dodge.....
You are correct, Gordon. This truck is really done well, and like I mentioned earlier, I can't find any good "like examples" out there which usually means they are pretty rare. I can't even find serial number information on these. The '41 is tucked in behind a number of cars, so maybe I will win the lottery before it sees daylight and comes up for sale. :thumbup: :lol:
Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

It's really just missing some trivia like seat covers and instrument decals - no big deal. The serial plate screws look really ugly, but rivets aren't expensive.

War dates depend on where you live. I know people that take that conflict back before 1939 and the Russians and Japanese were fighting before that and it it just sort of segued in ...

I do still find it odd to see VC and VF described as 'pre-war'
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

Its pre entry for the country of orgin. 1/2 ton WCs almost could be called prewar besides a few thousand made in 42
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller