30th QUARTERMASTER REGIMENT

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

30th QUARTERMASTER REGIMENT

Post by RANGER »

Anyone have information on the history and vehicles used in this WWII Unit. Am specifically researching their duty stations on East Coast US in 41-42.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: 30th QUARTERMASTER REGIMENT

Post by Robbo »

Can't see too much about them apart from that some elements apparently were in California around the time of Pearl Harbour.

Also NARA has the unit history from 1944-45 era but not online.

The 29th QM were sent to Australia and had early GMC's - there's abit about them online but the outfit you are interested in seems to have passed into the mists of time.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: 30th QUARTERMASTER REGIMENT

Post by RANGER »

There were litterally hundreds of QM units, Regiments, Battalions, and companies, their history is incomplete. The 30th records are incomplete. I am going to keep trying. I am doing this for Bill Knight, who joined the Army in 1940, and was trained as a mechanic in the QM Corps. He convoyed to Dow Field in my home town in June 1941 from Virginia in a CCKW, his unit spent time Maine to live, and ended up in the Navy, and retired. At 88, he is tireless, and has spent decades helping the poor and sick. He has cooked for the Salvation Army, rounded volunteers to stand outside stores and man the Salvation Army Kettles, arrainged electricity for the poor. Bill organizede the Maine Troop Greeters who have met over 4000 flights of Soldiers coiming and going to the Middle East since Desert Storm, and can be found on duty 24 hours a day. His group provides smiles, hugs, snacks and cell phones for these troops, and are the first friendly faces to great them on American soil after duty on the Front Lines.
My minor part in this is to mark my CCKW in tribute to Bill, one of the first Soldiers to serve at Dow Field in WWII, he is a living legend and still serving his country.
I have touched on this before, those of us who know Bill do not get tired of him.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it