STUMPED!

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

STUMPED!

Post by Ugg »

Hi:

Okay, I got a good one for anybody with balls to tackle it. I'm trying to figure potential hood #'s for the Beast. I've got the build sheet from Chrysler, and my frame # and body tag # are both listed on the sheet. My body tag # is correct. The build date of my Carryall is in Feb. of 43. My frame # starts with 816. None of the listings I've seen shows a Carryall built past 42, and they all start with 815. What's the deal here? :?

Having A Real Bad Day :evil:
Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim_n_Tx
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jim_n_Tx »

I found a listing for gov't contract W-374-ORD-2864, in '42 for WC-53's with hood numbers 20260793-202612157, and serial numbers starting with 81601050. Hope this helps
Mark Jennings
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

hood numbers

Post by Mark Jennings »

Not sure if this will help or not. My 1941 WC-12 was built Sept 19, 1941. Serial Number 8681699. Hood Number W-231318. I was very lucky to find the original hood numbers after 65 years. Mark.
Never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over.

"Just name me a hero and I `ll prove he`s a bum." The late Greg "Pappy" Boyington.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Hood numbers

Post by Jim M »

Me I just got so confused in trying to figure out what correct hood number was I just numbered it--

2 series number
42 year built
506 for the Unit (Easy Co, 2 Bn, 506th PIR)

Thus 242506

I just got creative :P

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim_n_Tx:

Thanks very much. That will be very helpful. Where did ya find those listings?

Jim M:

I'll be makin up my #'s too. I tryied lightly sandin down the Beast's hood, but didn't find any #'s on it.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Some info, but not a lot

Post by Gordon_M »

The basic problem seems to be that the Master Parts List was issued in 1943, so it had all the stuff up to that date, but doesn't cover things like the knockdown ambulance or the 12 volt weapons carrier.

It has the STARTING numbers for the late production, but not the end of it. I'm not that sure that the quoted figure for Carryall production is right and I don't know for sure when Carryall or Command production was wrapped up.

I've heard of a late revision / amendment / whatever to the Master Parts List which covers the late stuff, but have never seen it - anyone got one?
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hmmm, sounds like a job for..........

CHRYSLER HISTORICAL! :shock:

Maybe I'll drop them a letter this week????

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Ugg,

Have a look at:

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/data2.html

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/JPG/OD214.jpeg

People often say that there is no longer any way to trace hood numbers but I'd be pretty sure if you dug deeply enough at the National Archives or other sources, you'd come up with something.

Most often even the archivists don't know what's in their files and don't care. The trouble is that it would take weeks or even months of research and who can do this.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Robbo:

Where'd ya get that 2nd link from?

TIA
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One can also write the MVPA thru their Q&A in Army Motors. That's what the organization is all about. There are Dodge experts there.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER:

The MVPA? And here I thought all they knew about was Jeeps and jerry cans. :oops: :lol: Thanks for the direction.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The MVPA and its' predecessor MVCC laid the foundation for the military vehicle collectors movement worldwide. Many of the charter members from 35 years ago are Veterans and MV experts on Wheeled and Tracked vehicles dating back to WWI. Much of the information we now seek here on the internet has been accurately presented in its publications. Jeeps are a part of MV collecting we all can relate to as they are so basic and so many have had the chance to relate to. The MVPA volumes have presented topics from the best MV experts on Wheeled and Tracked Vehicles of all Nations, (friend and foe), Airfield Equipment, Paint, Markings, Powerplants, Drive Trains, Electrical Systems, Radios, Minesweepers, Wheels, Tires, Gas Cans, Shovels, Axes, Trailers, MG Mounts Uniforms, Manuals, etc. The Topics go on forever. They are all listed in the MVPA directories.

Jeep owners are only a part of it, Lawrence Nabholtz, a former US Army Ordnance Officer was a quiet behind the scenes supporter of WWII and Korean era Jeeps, his work is not equaled by anyone who has attempted to follow. It most likely will never be as those who follow will not have the hands on experience on intact NOS Military Jeeps that Lawrence had. He was intrigued and enthused by the WWII Jeep from the day he received a NOS surplus WWII Jeep at the end of WWII at 15 until his passing last December. 60+ years of detailed WWII Jeep study is hard to beat.

I could go on forever, were it not for private citizens and successful businessmen who devoted much time and personal expense to volunteer to serve on the MVPA board of directors over the past 35 years, collecting MVs would not have blossomed into the well organized worldwide pastime that it is today. Look at all the information that has been published and offered to the world of MV collecting, much of it has been advertised or mentioned thru the MVPA and similar worldwide organizations.
Surfing the internet is fine, but it will not achieve what those who worked so hard to organize our exciting hobby have so well done.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Oh RANGER:

LIGHTEN UP mang, I'z jest teasin a bit. :P I AM fully aware of all that you stated, and am very appreciative of all the people before me that did what they did. I had compiled tons of info in the few years that I have been involved in this hobby (which was unfortunately lost in the great computer crash of 01, or was it 02, or 03, or 05, or 06?), and am also aware that what I don't know can fill volumes. I was referring to the stink there a while back about them just featuring Jeeps. That bein said, uh, wow, so, uh, ya mean they DO do things other than Jeeps there, huh? :P :wink: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

No big deal, I was just giving a brief history of a fine organization that deserves a bit of credit now and then. There was a flareup from a group of Jeep fans who were in a position to be stirred up to raise Hell by a few who led them to believe the sky was falling. It did not, and we still have that fine organization that serves collectors worldwide.
George in Va.
Private

Post by George in Va. »

Try using the chart posted on another forum to extrapolate a good number. That is also what I did on mine.

http://users.beagle.com.au/mtrpool/JPG/T214.jpeg