Staff Sergeant
My garage: 'Follow Me' Jeep
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Re: My '44 Flying Control Dodge

Post by armyairforce »

I got an email this morning giving permission to use some of the other pictures from the school trip, and apparently, the kids are still talking about the visit this week, so we must have done something right.

Colin Bourdiec, our ENSA entertainer

My dad's talk was illustrated by several watercolour paintings he'd done. Here's a couple of them.

Steve Carr

Dodge WC51 - 'Follow Me' Jeep - '43 Ford GPW
Roset Trailer -- B-17G Fortress BO-1 #42-31035
armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

First behind the wheel of the Ford GPW was Head Teacher, Mrs Watkins. I took her for a ride around first, then she took over for a few laps of the school field.

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Next was the turn of Miss Kitchen, though it was somewhat of a surprise! I shouted out to the kids, "Who wants to see Miss Kitchen have a go" and they all cheered. Again, I took her for a ride around first showing her the gear changes etc., then she had a go.

The Dodge went back into storage on Monday, and will probably hibernate now until spring, bar the odd engine run, exercising the brakes and a slight move in the container to avoid flat spots.
Steve Carr

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Great photos Steve. It's nice seeing you get the history out to the local schools.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

It's been a bit of a traumatic week. On Monday, I got a phone call from the yard where I keep the Dodge truck, telling me that they had been given notice, and everone had to be off the land by early May.

I could have moved the truck to pretty much any caravan park exposed to the weather which was less than ideal, and finding somewhere that would take the 20ft container was a problem. Everything was too expensive ( three or more times our current rent ) or the sites wouldn't take containers. We had to consider outdoor storage without the container or selling the Dodge.

Forced into a frantic search, a bit of good luck resulted in finding a storage company only two and a half miles from home that would take our container and the Dodge. It would cost only slightly more money than we currently pay, and he had a contact for a cheap HIAB truck to move the container for us. Relief!!! HUGE relief.

This morning for the last time, I brought the Dodge home from the yard, a former Anti-Aircraft Battery. This was the first Dodge trip of 2017. I'll keep the truck at home for a few days to give it a pre-service look over prior to ordering any parts. The container move is set for Tuesday morning, and then the Dodge can move to its new home.
Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

On Tuesday April 11th, the container transporter arrived at the rapidly emptying old yard, collected the container, and made the trip of a few miles to the new storage yard. I followed him there to get a key for the new place and to check the access to the container was suitable for the Dodge to drive in without obsticles.

Later in the day, I drove the Dodge over and squeezed it back into its home.

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

On Tuesday June 20th, I brought the Dodge home from the new storage yard to do the Spring service. This was the first trip back since moving, and although there's a steep hill to drive up on the way, the whole trip is now only three miles door to door.

Today was all the basic maintenance like oil change and greasing everything, but I also waterproofed the roof canvas too. I've noticed gaps opening up above the rear window panels, where the old hinged side joins, so that needs some sealant and I also want to add some angle steel to the rear body roof, to stop it sagging and pooling water when it rains. I've also got to add some resistance into the indicator circuit to allow the yellow LED's to be fitted to the rear lights, and finish the LED headlights.

Next week is the first show for the Dodge, although I've already done six shows with the two Jeeps.

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Barnard Castle 1940's Weekend - June 24/25th

This was the second year for the Barnard Castle event and the first 2017 event for the Dodge. We drove there on Friday, and by the time the tent was set up it started chucking it down! Fortunately, the rain passed by overnight, and while Saturday started out overcast and cold and windy, it was at least dry. The vehicles were parked up in the market place, while the various re-enactor displays were up near the castle. As the day progressed, the clouds cleared and by the time the BBMF Hurricane flew over, we had blue sky and white clouds.

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Late on Saturday night, there was an under-age drinking incident in town, resulting in a stabbing. This had nothing to do with the event, but on Sunday morning when we turned up to park, the road was closed and police forensics were searching the scene. All the vehicles were now to be parked up at the top of the high street with the re-enactor displays. We found our way around the back streets and parked up in the new location for day two. It was nice weather all day, and plenty of public around.

It was a 97 mile round trip, including a couple of miles between the town and camp site. After getting home, I worked out I did around 8 miles per gallon up and down the hills on this trip.
Last edited by armyairforce on Mon May 04, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Carr

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

imperial or US gallon?
armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

British Imperial gallons. You need to remember these are British A Roads, one lane each way, hills, give ways, roundabouts, lots of stopping and starting, plus rush hour through Durham added a good 20 to 30 minutes onto the journey, crawling along in near stationary traffic. You can't just get on a road here and drive!
Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Bowes Railway/Springwell Village 1940's weekend - July 1/2nd

Day 1
After almost a week of solid rain, day and night, it finally stopped for the Springwell village 1940's event. The event involved much of the community, with dsplays and exhibitions throughout the village. The military vehicles and re-enactor displays were to be centred around Bowes Railway, a staging yard on the "Rope Haulage" coal lines from the County Durham pits to the river Tyne. Because of a number of steep hills in the area, static steam engines were built at the top of the hills, to winch wagons of coal up and down the inclines. Bowes rail yard lies on a flat area between two areas of hills, and is only 2 miles from my house.

I was on my own for the weekend, so just took the Dodge, which I'd kept at home following the Barnard Castle show. A number of people didn't show, so when I arrived, it was just my Dodge and a Kubelwagon. A friend's Dodge turned up later, and parked at the community centre.

The saddle tank steam loco spent the day shunting coal wagons around the goods yard. Around mid morning, several re-enactors gave a firing demonstration, with the station platform making an excellent vantage point for the public. Several of the re-enactor displays were set up in a court yard amongst the railway buildings.

Last edited by armyairforce on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Early afternoon saw the battle re-enactment out amongst the railway yard. It made a fantastic setting fighting amongst the tracks, reminiscent of so many war films. The sizeable crowd were completely involved, groaning when the Allies were killed and cheering when the Axis forces were shot, and they ended with a huge cheer as the captured Nazi flag was brought down. At the end of the battle, the re-enactors lined up and held a minutes silence for all those who have fallen in combat.

Steve Carr

armyairforce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Dodge WC51
'Station Photo' Jeep
Roset Trailer
B-17G Fortress #42-31035

Post by armyairforce »

Day 2

Due to the low vehicle turnout, and my house being so close, I suggested late Saturday, that if they wanted more vehicles, I could provide them, if someone could drive me home after I arrived. So on Sunday morning, that's what happened. I drove the Dodge there, and got a lift home, Drove "Jessie" there, and got a lift home, then drove "Hope" there! All three vehicles together for only the fourth time. My display made up about 50% of the vehicle content on Sunday!! Two other Jeeps and a civilian breakdown truck also turned up on Sunday. The day ran as before with firing demonstrations and a battle, just with the timings a little earlier.

Steve Carr