WC in winter

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Steve:

Most of the combat footage of WC's I've seen, the spares were NOT where they were supposed to be.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The shots I've seen of Lend Lease vehicles there aren't any spares just rims, also the tyres were small non combat. I was told a tale by an ex British Army fitter that when the US convoys of trucks went past there base an oik on a bike was sent to follow. If a vehicle broke down his job was to phone the base, where upon a 15cwt (our 3/4 ton) was dispatched and promptly stripped the vehicle of everything useful. Unfortunatley this was cottoned on to and armed gaurds were left with breackdowns :twisted: I have also seen shots of vehicles with diffrent size tyres, and bolts through the side walls with a pice of metal to hold them together. Love to try that on the MOT inspectors :!:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

We call that "Falling Off The Truck", an old Teamster's term. :twisted: Now that I think of it, the only WC's I've seen (on old film footage) that had a spare were the Ambulances. I've NEVER seen an action shot of a Carryall with one mounted, rim or T I R E. :lol: They just got in the way.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

UGG,
I'll get US/ UK dictionary out. Over here it's "Fell off the back of a lorry" or "As Advertised on Police 5" an old five minute anti crime TV show.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Tony:

After ya get it out, in the US section, go to the sub-section of Teamsters. They're a real fun group of guys. They gave us the Jimmy Hoffa hot dog. How many teamsters does it take to change a light bulb? 25, ya gotta problem with that bud? :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

British Health and Saftey rules now demand an indepth risk assesement of any job over head height. I knew an electrician who could make changing a light bulb last 4 hours. And its legal!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

:shock: :lol:

When does this insanity stop? :?

Tony:

Ya may want to come over here and join us when we start our Power Wagon/WC Cult/Retirement Village. :D

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The old saying the most dangerous nut in a motor car is the one holding the steering wheel. There are so many gadgets on vehicles ABS, ACE, Airbag etc. That people think If I hit something at 70 mph I'll survive so thers no risk to me at 70mph, if iI want a bit a risk I'll do 80mph. What the hell is the point of an ordinary family saloon car with 200bhp? Vehicles like our Dodges make you drive! You have to think, listen to the vehicle plan ahead in your driving, maybe all driving schools sjould be forced to use such vehilces to make pupils understand they are in charge of something more lethal than a gun, because they don't think they can kill someone. (Must be those funny mushrooms I ate last night) :roll:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Send some of those 'Schrooms my way. :lol: I really don't think that a person thinks they'll survive a 70 MPH accident, the problem is, they don't think, period. I see so many mindless morons on the road, cell phone glued to their ear, eating a meal, watching their GPS or DVD, reading whatever, all while they're supposed to be driving.

The other day, I had the family in my truck and we were driving home. It was broad daylight, light traffic and sunny. There was a woman a bit ahead of us, yakin away on her cell. A squirrel ran out into the street, and she killed it. Had she been paying attention, she coulda stopped or slowed down, but no, she was to damn busy talking. :evil: Now suppose the squirrel had been a kid. :evil:

Last night there was a guy next to me at the light. He was making a left turn. The light was red. There he was, hammering away doin a text message. The light turned green and he just sat there. By the time he got a clue, the light changed again (it was an arrow, & ya can only turn on the arrow), to where he was the only one to make the light. I can go on and on about these moron non drivers on the road. I can really see why there's road rage.

Personally, my religion requires me to do 5 over the limit. If someone wants to drive below the limit, that's okay, as long as they don't prevent me from going around them. BTW, I am fanatical about indicating my intentions while driving. I think they don't teach people how to drive anymore, just get in and point.

Back in the day, when I was taking driver's ed in high school, my instructor was our school's football coach. The driver's ed car was a 67 Camaro with a 327 and a 4 spd. My 1st legal spin out on the street (I had already been driving 2 years on the sly), and this guy started tail gating me. I did like your supposed to (per instruction), and slowed down to let him pass.

The coach yelled at me and asked what the F I was doin. I explained and he said that was wrong. What your supposed to do he went on, was to dump it down a gear and punch it. With a grin on my face, I did as told, smoking tires for about a block. I've been driving like that ever since. :twisted: My poor wife has dented the floorboard on the passenger side more than once, slamming on an imaginary brake pedal while riding along with me. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"