Dodges landing Normandy

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Robbo

Dodges landing Normandy

Post by Robbo »

Have a look here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... h-p242.jpg

Looks like a Carryall about mid-picture - can anyone tell if half or three-quarter tonner?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Robbo,

It looks like a 3/4 ton to me. Note the NCO bar on the back of the helmet of the guy in the foreground.

Matt.
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

It is a WC51
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Robbo:

Yeah, there's a Carryall in that group, on the right side, mid way back. It does look like a 51 coming off and a half track in the left corner. BTW, neat picture too. :thumbup: I believe that's a Rhino barge they're on.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yee Ugg! Congrats on promotion. The rhino was used post D-Day so it would be through the American Mulberry judging from the shipping in the background and lack of post gale wreckage, the shot would be bettween D +4 and D+10 or possibly from the end July to the September 1944.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Thanks Tony:

I'll still get my own coffee thank you though. :lol: On further checking it out, it seems to be a German POW sitting om the corner by the ramp and a whole group of civys on the right side. Weird :? I didn't notice and chevrons on the hemet, but the guy on the beach musta been navy. That's a parka he's wearing and he seems to be cold as his hands are tucked up in his sleeves. BTW Robbo, keep posting those great pictures. I like the water bucket/Jeep pictures. :thumbup:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Thanks for your replies - my eyes aren't what they used to be.

You can read the full story here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA ... ch-14.html

There's a whole lot of WW2 histories on that site if you search around.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Robbo:

Whose eyes are. :lol: Thanks for the site. A long time ago, a friend had given me a ton of WW II pictures from the PTO. His father was a photographer there. I even had one of the flag rasing on Iwo, from a different angle. Unfortunately, they were all destroyed in a fire. :cry: Some were pretty damn gruesome too. :shock:

Later
Last edited by Ugg on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"

Post by Guest »

i have quite a few pictures from the pto. i need to scan them and put them on photobucket.com one of these days
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Don't get me started on scaning. :evil: Ever since I switched to XP, I can't get my scanner to work right. I have to go in a round about way to scan things, then they are big ticket files and I can't figure how to resize em. HP ain't any help either as they want me to go out and buy a new scanner cause they don't make software to upgrade the one I have. :evil:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
68427vette
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

and this pics

Post by 68427vette »

Looking for a donor M38 w/ good motor, Scoutcars and Halftracks, VC's, VF401-406
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Bet he's glad he didn't have a hard top :thumbup:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Interesting feature is the verticle white stripe down the leading edge of the toolbox plus of course on the bumpers.

Blackout conditions caused a lot of crashes and pedestrian fatalities in Britain prior to D-Day.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yes, blackout acidents were a major cause of civillian casualties. There was a TV serious called World War Two in Colour. One shot was described as "London 1941" in the side of the shot was the back end of a 51 or 52 with white stripes. did inform programme makers it couldn't be 1941. :roll:
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Wasn't that a BBC thing? Our History Channel runs it every few months. I can never get enough of it. One day I'd love to be turned loose either at the Library of Congress or Smithsonian archives to check all the WW II pic's & film. :shock: :mrgreen:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"