When did Dodge change over from leather to wed straps?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Dave Austin

When did Dodge change over from leather to wed straps?

Post by Dave Austin »

I ask because you see all kinds of different configurations on trucks, from 1/2 tons to the later war 3/4 tons.
In fact, one can purchase from cetrain canvas makers any canvas with the leather or web option, confusing it more as individuals buy what they like and install on their trucks.

I was wondering when during the war did the cargo cover straps, gas can watering straps, pioneer tool straps, etc change over from leather to the web.

and, in particular, was there ever leather straps used on gas can/ water can brackets and the pioneer tool rack hold down straps EVER?

I know there was a transition from the lighter "khaki" canvas to the darker O.D. #7 some time late in the war. And I beleive the canvas straps were replaced late as well with web strapping.

Anyone have details of this change over date?

and does anyone know for sure if ever leather straps were used on carriers and such?

thanks
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

GOOD QUESTION DAVE!

Come on, Enquiring minds want to know. :lol: Anybody have the CORRECT answer?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Greg Alexander »

Ditto that! I would really be curious to know also.
I love the way the leather pioneer straps look and have thought of replacing my web straps with leather, but I want to stay period correct. I have a 42 WC-54, but have painted the 43 large crosses on it. So my question would be if they still used leather straps after October 1943? (I'm guessing the answer is no)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The WWII Spec for OD #7 covered a broad range, it could be light or dark and be within spec., that is why there are so many arguments over if light or dark is proper. It is difficult to explain this to those who are new to the hobby.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi RANGER:

Even us relative newbies realize that "Back In The Day", companies grabbed whatever they could get in the way of materials. As far as the paint went, you could get 2 cans/drums of paint from the same company, one made right after the other, and the shades would be slightly different. Each batch would be slightly (or even majorly) different.

I get a kick out of some of the paint jobs I've seen on MV's at shows. So much care and precision involved. When I was in, we used either paint brushes or brooms, and from talking to WW II vets, they did it the same way. Masking tape, what's that? :lol: We, and they used whatever was at hand. Some old tankers I talked to said they used buckets of whitewash on their Sherman's for winter cammo. They just thru & poured it on, spreading it with a broom. A messy job too. :lol:

IMHO, the MVPA, like any other organization, has a certain amount of politics involved. It's not what ya know, but who ya know. That's why I always say build it the way you'll be happy with it, unless your goal is stricktly a museum piece. If your happy with what ya have, then screw everybody else. ENJOY IT! :P :lol: Personally, I'd be scared to death driving a museum piece on the road with the average non driving moron.

Later
Ugg
Last edited by Ugg on Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

gee where have I herd this topic before?
I dont think dodge ever used web straps
on the tops, only leather,
dont know about the pioneer tools, defenatly leather on half tons though,
when you look at the pics. the white undyed leather stands out like a sore thumb,
I think the gas can strap was always web, becouse the gery can was kind of a late war invention. the old round can had a metal strap to hold it on
to the running board, kinda like a fire ext.
its been a couple of months scince I just went through this,
but I think if you look at the manual the part no. for bow straps never changes.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

FYI,
In WWII the US Gov't supplied the canvas to the manufacturers. Just about every shoe manufacturer and small shops in the garment districts across the USofA made canvas items and web gear for the War effort. Today's Duck is equal to or superior to that of WWII, but the problem is that not all repro shops use Gov't quality duck. I will not get into who has the worst, but it is evident after a rain storm. The chemicals that are environmently correct in todays canvas is different from that used in WWII. The canvas had to meet rigid specs, the color range foir OD 7 had some allowable leeway though. Canvas is not a subject for general conversation, it gets involved. The best source is Gov't specifications and not the claims of the repro dealers. Most are good, but some will spin you a yarn about their product being gov't spec.

I am not a Canvas expert, but my ties to the industry may surprise some.
We could go on and on about canvas and maybe learn something, but it would all have to be repeated again in a few days as a newcomer will want to learn and the BS will start flying all over. I have learned not to try to tell someone that they bought poor quality, as they are usually quite protective of their supplier. But when one learns they got screwed by their choice of suppliers, it turns angry. The places that are in the business to dye canvas are dwindling because of environmental regs, and one is about to increase the cost of processing in order to keep up with expenses. Watch for an increase in the tops for your MVs.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Ugg wrote:Hi RANGER:

Even us relative newbies realize that "Back In The Day", companies grabbed whatever they could get in the way of materials. As far as the paint went, you could get 2 cans/drums of paint from the same company, one made right after the other, and the shades would be slightly different. Each batch would be slightly (or even majorly) different.

I get a kick out of some of the paint jobs I've seen on MV's at shows. So much care and precision involved. When I was in, we used either paint brushes or brooms, and from talking to WW II vets, they did it the same way. Masking tape, what's that? :lol: We, and they used whatever was at hand. Some old tankers I talked to said they used buckets of whitewash on their Sherman's for winter cammo. They just thru & poured it on, spreading it with a broom. A messy job too. :lol:

IMHO, the MVPA, like any other organization, has a certain amount of politics involved. It's not what ya know, but who ya know. That's why I always say build it the way you'll be happy with it, unless your goal is stricktly a museum piece. If your happy with what ya have, then screw everybody else. ENJOY IT! :P :lol: Personally, I'd be scared to death driving a museum piece on the road with the average non driving moron.

Later
Ugg
How the heck did I do this? :oops:

Bert:

Can ya remove this entry?

Thanks
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

WHAT I REALLY WANTED TO POST!

Guys:

What ya need to ask yourselves is this, What would Willie & Joe have used? :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"