Is there a modern gas tank that fits a WC56?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
old57XLA
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 56 42 WLA 57XLA

Is there a modern gas tank that fits a WC56?

Post by old57XLA »

My gas tank has a fair number of soldered spots on it, and it is starting to weep from the bottom. Is there a modern alternative that fits up in there well, and works well? Has anybody made a tank out of stainless steel to put in their WC? I don't want to try to rehab this one. Thanks for any tips. Hal
Here's some pics of WC56: http://halkct.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
I wish I had more time, more space, and more money!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Hal:

I've heard of both, people replacing or building new ones. I may even have a link to one artical. I'll do a search later and let ya know. Meanwhile, ya sure do have some toys there. I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

Hey Bert:

Ya need to add a green faced Emoticon. :lol:

Later
Last edited by Ugg on Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
mannyc

gas tank

Post by mannyc »

you should take the orig tank to the closest renu tank center. they do an amazing job of restoring these tanks. the best part is that the sender boss and the fill neck will be correct. i was lucky to find a NOS tank when i did my command car. to be safe because i knew i would never find another, i had the nos tank renued. the coating keeps the gas from eating the tank and after 5 years the gas flows clean from the tank. before i found the nos tank i had a tank made. it fits the stock location and i had the org sender boss and fill soldered to it. it is rectangular in shape and worked fine when i used it. you are welcome to it if you want to pick it up.

mannyc
old57XLA
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 56 42 WLA 57XLA

Post by old57XLA »

Mannyc, where are you located? If close enough, (or if the tank could be shipped if I pay for shipping and packing) I'd be interested in the tank. Thanks, Hal
I wish I had more time, more space, and more money!
mannyc

gas tank command car

Post by mannyc »

im on long island. i dont want to get involved in shipping it as it had gas in it once and the shipping is pain. if you are close enough, let me know and we can work something out. email me @ ecasamass*Aol.com change the * to @.

mannyc
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

gas tank

Post by Jim M »

What kind of cost is one looking at when they get this done to their tank? Have heard of ReNeu and that is about it. What is it and what does it do?
Sounds like something I may have to look into for my new/used WC gas tank.

Thanks.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

Go to http://www.gastankrenu.com/and find the nearest franchise. Call them and get an estimate. They may need to look at the tank to give an estimate. I have had two tanks done. One needed extensive repair and cost $400.00 The other just needed cleaning and cost $285.00 It is not cheap but it is a lot less than having a replacement tank fabricated.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

I'm not going to say what it cost me to get the tank fixed on the Beast. :oops: Things I have discovered since. You can find a tank of similar dimensions, and have the filler tube and sending units reloacted to match what ya need. A good cleaning is the best thing to do, and then LEAVE IT CLEAN! All coatings eventually fail and peel, clogging lines and filters.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
MANNYC

WC TANK

Post by MANNYC »

I PAID AROUND 300 TO HAVE A NOS COMMAND CAR TANK RENUED. THAT WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO. MY THINKING WAS THAT IM KEEPING THE TRUCK FOREVER AND THE RENU PROCESS WILL KEEP THE NEW TANK FROM EVER GETTING RUST IN THE FIRST PLACE. IVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE TANK OR THE PROCESS AND THINK IT TO BE GOOD INSURANCE ON SOMETHING AS RARE AS A CC TANK. I DONT WANT MY SON TO HAVE TO FIND ONE IN 2050!

MANNYC
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Re: WC TANK

Post by Bert »

MANNYC wrote:I PAID AROUND 300 TO HAVE A NOS COMMAND CAR TANK RENUED. THAT WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO. MY THINKING WAS THAT IM KEEPING THE TRUCK FOREVER AND THE RENU PROCESS WILL KEEP THE NEW TANK FROM EVER GETTING RUST IN THE FIRST PLACE. IVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE TANK OR THE PROCESS AND THINK IT TO BE GOOD INSURANCE ON SOMETHING AS RARE AS A CC TANK. I DONT WANT MY SON TO HAVE TO FIND ONE IN 2050!

MANNYC
offtopic:
MANNYC, could you please turn off "Caps Lock" on your keyboard before posting?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

If you doing for an expensive renew its worth getting it galvanised. I got a new tank for my Range Rover which is roughly the same size. It was a Canadian make fully galvanised. Cost about £10 more than standard.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
pmcree

M-37 tank

Post by pmcree »

I am about to attempt to install a NOS M-37 tank in a WC-51. Anybody do this before? I am going to relocate the straps and the sending unit to the center. Any hints or suprises? Paul
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gas tank

Post by Jim M »

Was given same tank when I got my WC but when ahead and got a WC tank. Less hassels and I know it will fit.
Was told that the sending unit would sit too high and the gage could not be used because of it.

Good luck and keep us posted how things go!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have a NOS M-37 Fuel Tank and a NOS WC tank, They will not interchange and and install correctly. I can measure LWH to compare later today. The M-37 is 24 Gallons and the WC is 30 Gallons according to specs. I used to trade the WC tanks with L. Nabholtz for NOS M-31 Pedestals and NOS WWII JEEPand CCKW sheetmetal.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
ClosedCab
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by ClosedCab »

deleted. - Sorry I bothered.
Last edited by ClosedCab on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.