Petlas 9X16 tires for WC-51?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Patrick

Petlas 9X16 tires for WC-51?

Post by Patrick »

Hello guys!

The Turkish tire manufacturer Petlas produces trailer tires in the dimension 9.00-16, i can get them fairly cheap here in Norway, but before i order them i would like to make absolutely sure that they will fit / handle the weight of my WC-51.
I know these tires have been used with success on Volvo laplanders.

See the tech-specs here: http://www.petlas.com.tr/poppage.php?ID=56#spec

Any thoughts?

Patrick Stave
Norway
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

How many ply are they? What is comes down too is the thickness of the sidewalls. What is their weight max? I don't read Turkish so not sure what is what.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The tires i'm able to get are the 8-ply versions, here is a screenshot of the English specs :)

Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

VERY IMPORTANT!!!! The tyres are named as TRAILER tyres!! this can mean a max speed rating of about 40kmh. I very much doubt the tyres would meet EEC regulations. Normally I would have no time for EEC but in this case they are correct. I would suspect the tyres are agricultural rated. Personally I would not put them on a push bike.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Patrick:

Alliance makes a very good 10 ply 9:00X16 NDT. They also have the "NATO" cut in em so ya won't hydroplane as much on wet pavement. :shock: That's for people who want the "LOOK" of the WW II vehicle with a better performance. Unfortunately, they won't sell em new in the US. :evil: This is another one of them "Cultural" differences, we spell it T I R E. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Well, as i said earlier the tires are used on a lot of Volvo laplanders here in Norway, and the guys using them are wery happy with them, as the Volvo are capable of even higher speeds than the WC-51 i don't think that it would be a problem.

See this webpage: http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?d ... ch%20Forum
old57XLA
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 56 42 WLA 57XLA

Post by old57XLA »

A worry to think about is that they are TRAILER tires, and not labeled as motor vehicle tires. Motor vehicles put different loads on a tire (steering, braking while turning, acceleration, etc) and they are probably designed just to be pulled. If you have an accident, and the insurance person sees that you are running trailer tires on your truck, they may not cover you (or have to) because you used tires not approved for motor vehicles. It isn't worth the savings in my opinion, due to safety and legality concerns. Hal in CT
I wish I had more time, more space, and more money!
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Real English

Post by Ray Edsall »

Hi Ugg .Just because you spell it diffrentely to every body else doesn,t make it right .Tyre is the proper ENGLISH pronunciation. Lots of love Ray
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

:lol:

Hi Ray:

I didn't say it was right, just different. :wink: Don't get me started on what's proper or improper. Hmmm, wait a minute, I may just be an expert on what is improper. :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Political correctness

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day Ugg and All .Don,t you just love all these people who are alway,s pollitically correct .They realy give me the SHITS Trying to ram down our throats there political correctness .Down here in Australia it is almost unlawful to disagree with them .If you disagree with there lefty trendy views You are the biggest bastard under the sun .Down here at the moment they are tryin to crucify a couple of copper who smacked a crime around to get him to talk{he had been jailed numerous times for serious crimes ,a real scumbag ] Now the politically correct are trying to hang the copper .Don,t worry about law and order just as long as we are all politically correct .Just my winge for the day .Ray
Phil 2

tyres.

Post by Phil 2 »

Just to chuck in my two pennyworth, the wording is ....durability has been increased for safe use on trailers. It does not say they are specifically manufactured for trailers. The word TYRE is spelt with a 'y'. The pneumatic tyre was invented by the Brits (well a Scotsman to be precise) so therefor WE in the UK know how it should be spelt. Like most things in the world that are the best the vast majority originated here on this wonderful isle. Just because these tyres come from Turkey doesn't make them bad. Virtually all Goodyear truck tyres are manufactured there.
Nice one Ray. Being PC makes you take your eye off the ball. Politicians are only PC to get votes not because they believe in it.

Post by Guest »

Hi Ray:

I hope your not implying that I'm tryin to be PC? :shock: :lol: About the coppers, well I grew up in Chicago BEFORE the Miranda Act (Constitutional rights for criminal suspects). I learned all about what rubber hoses and telephone books can be used for. I once spent 2 weeks dealing with the wonderful hospitality of the CPD durning the 1968 Democratic National Convention, and I wasn't even a protestor. I was just trying to walk home from work and got caught up in the mob. :o

Then again, I also used to beg the cops to take me to jail instead of bringin me home to the old man. :cry: They'd laugh & pull me by the ear to my Dad. Now that was cruel & unusal punishment. :lol: Now as far as the term scumbag, well, I'd put politicians and religious leaders in that group if I were the type of guy that grouped people. :wink:

Phil:

I thought the Russki's invented the T I R E. :twisted: As a matter of fact, if ya ask one, they invented EVERYTHING! :lol: Jest jokin. About politician's, there was a guy in this country (the US) a couple of hundred years ago, I think his name was Jefferson (ya may have heard of him). He stated we should have a revolution every 20 years to kick out the corrupt politicians that got themselves intrenched in the system. He may have been on to something.

Personally, I don't like putting people into groups (politicians & religious leaders aren't people IMHO). Everybody is different, yet all the same. In my travels I've noticed the average person pretty much everywhere want the same things. 3 square meals a day, a roof over their heads, and a better life for their kids. Some folk would be happy with just 1 square meal a day. It's all of our glorious leaders everywhere that really screw that up. :evil: However, maybe I should shut up cause I haven't a clue how to make things better. Maybe it'd be a good thing if them terrorist got their slimey paws on some nuke's and blew us all back to the stoneage, then maybe we'd get it right the next time around. :(

NOW I'M BUMMED! :x

Later
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Yeah but don't forget the UK is owned by the Channel Islands. We concqured you lot in 1066 and therefore America as well. We just got so sick of you lot bickering so we left you to get on with it! :twisted:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

You tell em. Uh, does that mean I have to send my taxes to you? :? :lol:

BTW, The Guest was me. For some reason my automatic log in wasn't. :oops:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Dodge, 3 Land Rovers, including a 101 and a Volvo to maintain! Happy for any donation :roll: ! you know the old saying "If it's female or has wheels, it costs money" :cry: