Starting question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Starting question

Post by Jim M »

I throw myself on the mercy of the group regarding this question: after a break of about 3-4 mnths, I went back to start the WC for the first time. the healing time ofthe surgery had kept me away from the Wc.
Used some "starter fuel" in the carb, and the WC fired up quite nicely. Ran for about 5 mintues and then started to run just a little rough. Then it died :cry:
Tried again with the starter fuel and no go. Tried and tried, but still it is a no go!
Suggestions as what I should look at or check. Read the Tm and got no where fast.
Thank you in advance!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

Check for a clogged fuel line, or maybe some nasty stuff got in your tank. :( Hope not. BTW, 'BOUT TIME YA GOT BACK TO WORK ON IT! :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

First, is there fresh fuel in the tank, second is it getting to carb, third is there spark? Was "Starter fuel" Ether start or gas poured into carb? Sounds most likley fuel not getting to carb. P.S. Check the choke valve hasn't stuck in.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Agreed. Sounds like fuel starvation to me also. Take the fuel line to the carb loose. Leave the switch off and bump the starter and see if fuel squirts out of the fuel line. If not check your fuel pump, fuel filters and fuel lines for blockage.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Starting problems

Post by Jim M »

UPDATE
Appears that the problem was poor fuel flow between gas tank (gerry can) and the carb.
Blew out the lines, checked for leaks, checked fuel filter and refilled gas tank/can. Primed the WC and it fired up and ran with no problems :lol:
Can now go back to the orginial project of doing body sanding/work for painting.
Next major task is the putting in of a WC gas tank--thanks to Chris--and replumbing of gas lines to carb.

Thanks to all for their help suggestions. Can not think of a better group to ask when problems develop!

Jim M
scott
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by scott »

Hey Jim,

What part of CA are you at? I am in Lompoc, CA.

Scott

1943 WC-52
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Jim, trouble is sometimes you get so tied up in a problem you miss the obvoius. I once spent an hour stripping a vehicles lights before someone said "Have you checked the fuse?"
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

That's why I believe in the KISS principle. Trouble is, nothing, and I do mean NOTHING goes easy in Uggville. :lol:

Jim:

Ya might want to consider an electric fuel pump too.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

never been a fan of electric pumps. the mechanical ones work perfectley well if properly maintained.
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Electric pump

Post by Gordon_M »

Electric pump = something else to go wrong.

In my humble opinion, you can't get better than the original tank, pump , carb, filter, starting and charging systems as long as you maintain them by the book.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Electric fuel pumps

Post by Ray Edsall »

You might not need one if the weather dosn,t get to hot ,but out here in oz they realy help if your truck suffers from vapour lock in hot weather .From what i,ve seen and heard aboot scotland it never stop ,s raining and snowing and the temp never get,s much above zero so you probably don,t have vapour lock problem,s like we do in hot climates.

By the way UGG .isn,t there a articale on one of the other sites { power wagon or something} showing you how to make a fuel tank out of stainless steel Ray
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Vapour lock

Post by Gordon_M »

it never stops raining and snowing and the temp never gets much above zero

Not that far off the truth. I did get it once in the Command Car when I was towing a Bedford some distance at low speed.

I certainly wouldn't rely on an electric pump though - seem too many people trying to get them working / keep them working.

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Re: Vapour lock

Post by Bert »

Gordon_M wrote:I certainly wouldn't rely on an electric pump though - seem too many people trying to get them working / keep them working.
An electric pump is a good spare-part to have with you on the road. One of my Dodge's runs on LPG (normal petrol does 1.51 euro/liter (7.26$/gallon)) and the fuel pump has a hard time not able to pump but building up pressure.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Starting question

Post by Jim M »

Scott,
Live in the San Bernardino area. About 60 miles south of LA.

Jim M
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Ray:

Yeah, over on Joe's Power Wagon site. I think it might even be in the "Best Of" section by now. Step by step instructions on how to do it.

Gordon:

I was suggesting that to Jim as he is currently using a gas can (on his runningboard I assume) as a fuel source. When I got the Beast, it's fuel source was an old coffee can on the runningboard. :shock:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"