WC Glove box spring

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC Glove box spring

Post by Jim M »

Once again I find myself coming to the well and seeking advice from the gathered group.
What is the proper procedure or magic words to get that darn WC "spring"--tempered steel metal piece into the golve box? I am getting really tired of shutting the glove box door every couple of mintues while I'm driving down the road.
It is a really tight spot and can not get anything very large in there to hold the "spring" in place while installing it.
Any ideas or words of wisdom from those who have done this already on their WC.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The only advice is when fitting wear armoured gloves. they are evil, most of the ones I have fitted have are accompanied by crinkled paint from the language and signed in blood. :evil: :evil: :evil: I find the best way is do the lip of the glove box first Leave screws loose, then the Flap with a wooden wedge inserted so it jams the flap at 90' A thin bicyle multi spanner will get in there to hold the nuts.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

They can be a real pain to get in. I will leave the flap loose to help a bit then attach the spring to the flap and use a pair of needle nose pliers to grasp it firmly in the center. I then roll my wrist to extend the spring and pull it at the same time. Hold it tight or it will get loose and bite you. Good luck
Phils 51

Glove box spring

Post by Phils 51 »

The easiest way is to fab a spring stretcher to hold it to the installed shape which is I assume how it would be assembled on the line when built.
I belive the guy who designed it later came to live in the UK where he is most famous for designing the till drawer in Arkwrights corner shop in the TV series 'Open all hours'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I agree with that!! For those that don't know the Till (Cash register) has a delay on the spring that slams shut threatening to takefingers off. just like the glove box flap :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
John in Washington State

How easy it is!

Post by John in Washington State »

After fighting the glove box door spring, I found the easy way to install it is to remove the door with the hinge. Fold the hinge in toward the closed position. Then install the spring. Hold the door down and flip the hinge to the open position. Install the screws and nuts to hold the door in the glove box opening (I would leave the screws a bit loose and close the door for alignment, then open for a final tightening). Remember these doors were installed on the assembly line so no special tools were need. Also I believe the glove box doors were wired to the individual motor/chassis on twin pack trucks so the serial numbers would match when the trucks were reassembled in the field assembly lines.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Jim:

The Beast recently developed a similar problem. Slam the thing shut & it pops back open, about 1". It'll stay like that all day though. Anybody have a schmatic of the assembly, or is it in the TM's? :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC glove box

Post by Jim M »

Would seem that I have hit a nerve with this subject :cry:
Thanks for the advice, will take a hard, long look at the door and see what would work best for me.
Glad to see that I was not the only one who have had this problem with the WC :wink:

Will post results of the future operation.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!